autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

hardened tree sap

The last car I did had a glob of hardened tree sap on the back bumper's upper edge, which is only about 3.5 or 4" wide. The clay (I tried 2 different ones) wouldn't do it. Wet sanding wouldn't do it. I couldn't get that bloody blob off! Then I tried a straight razor blade and kept skimming layers off until I got right down to the paint. Bottom line? Completely gone and no trace! Just wanted to share

Post Thanks / Like
    i had that problem one time and I decided to let the pressure washer sit on it and low and behold it came right off, along with about 1 square inch of paint off my fender flares
    Frank
    Thanks to AG I only wipe my butt with MF's now

Post Thanks / Like
    I soak it for two-three minutes with some Poorboys Bug Squash and then it usually just pops right off.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    very good info to know i was wondering how id get the pine sap off my 78!

Post Thanks / Like
    Turtle Wax's -Bug and Tar Remover! That stuff is amazing! Plus it is an OTC product!

2005 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
    aka "Storm Trooper"

"Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine had some sap on his BMW for at least two months. He came over last week and we got it off with two apps of "Stoners Tarminator". It looks like it disolves it. After the first app it was a smaller blob.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denatured alcohol works great for me. It cleans up tree sap, most grease stains as well as disinfects. I found it pretty safe on just about anything and it evaporates almost instantly. I keep a gallon can of it around the house for lots of different cleaning projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo22
    Denatured alcohol works great for me. It cleans up tree sap, most grease stains as well as disinfects. I found it pretty safe on just about anything and it evaporates almost instantly. I keep a gallon can of it around the house for lots of different cleaning projects.
    Is that the same as Isopropyl alcohol? I have some 50/50 mix of that.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denatured alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) are very simular and will both remove tree sap. I happen to use denatured because we use it at work alot for prepping surfaces to be masked off for painting. This is mostly latex (water ) based paints. Ive been a house painter and faux painter for many years so Ive allways had gallons of denatured alcohol, paint thinner and lacquer thinner around. You can buy it at any paint store or Home Depot and Lowes type places.

Another great use for denatured alcohol is removing hardened latex paint. If you have any splatters or extra paint on surfaces you dont want, it will soften it and you can clean it up without hurting the surface underneath. Im allways finding a new use for that stuff! So, yes Isopropyl alcohol will remove tree sap quite well but you might want to use it full strength on some of the more hardened spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at a local automotive store today and they sold me some "alcohol stove burning fuel "Methyl Hydrate" (99.9% pure)" is this the same as isopropyl alcohol?

And does anyone wanna tell me that its ok to go putting on any kind of car paint without doing any harm?? (even older paint such as 15 year old paint)

Also what are all of its uses? Cleaning tar/sap and old wax etc. off of the surface? Or to check if a product you just used contains any fillers and only hid the blemish instead of corrected it? Any others?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast