autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Much Worse Then I thought it was..

Hey guys, well I posted a thread a little while back about detailing my car, and over the few past weeks, I have picked up some different things to try out before my birthday comes when I can buy all of the stuff I will need. Out where I live we have unbelievably hard water, and my car sat by our sprinklers for a few months. All of my glass is covered in it, and so is the paint. The ONLY thing that will remove at least 90% of the water spots from my glass is a pure RAZOR. Even the razor doesnt do enough. Ok, well the same exact material that is on my glass is on my paint, so I need some type of compound that is sharper then a razor.

Yesterday I tried a mothers clay bar kit on one fender of my car. Then I tried some turtle wax scratch swirl remover and some HARD rubbing it in, and with the clay bar and the turtle wax together without a buffer was a very VERY minimal increase in difference. 95% of the water spots are still there. It barely touched it.

Then I tried clay bar on my windsheild to remove some contamintents, and it did absolutley nothing. The only thing that does it is a razor, and I cant take a RAZOR to my paint. These water stains are also ALL over things on my car that arent clear coated, like my side mirror plastic, there covered in it, and the trim around the windows are covered in it. What could I use to remove water spots THAT bad on a non-clear coated surface? What could I use to remove the water spots on my paint and restore to an EXCELLENT shine?? I need a compound as sharp as a razor on my paint.

Would a Porter Cable 7424, and some XMT #4 and some good pressure take it off?

In need of some serious help here guys, the car paint is gone, and it needs BIG time REAL help.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

-Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    #0000 steel wool and AIO, or try a polish and cutting pad with PC on glass. I had hard ass waterspots I couldn't get to budge that steel wool and AIO did, got about 95% out. Was a pain in the ass though and took awhile on my suv lol.

As for paint, compound would work well, but what do you mean by no paint left?
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like
    you would be surprised that some lower levels of polish can still take out water spots...i wuld by xmt 1 -4 so you can polish all levels of scratches/swirls/etc...from the sounds of it you possibly have water etching and not just water spots...the last 10 percent you couldnt remove from your windows is possibly the hard water etching down into the glass and now your paint...try white vinegar from any supermarket on your glass and paint...some people soak paper towels with it an lay it across areas with waterspots on them...dont worry about the smell...it goes away very quickly once the vinegar evaps...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. Ive tried white vinegar on my paint and it does a TAD bit better then a clay bar and turtle wax, but not that much, you can see on my paint the spot where i Treid to use vinegar. But Its just not enough. I have paint left, and clear coat, but its just so bad with water spots. Steel wool dude? Are you talking about just on the windows??? I hope xmt #4, and a PC works, if it really is liquid sandpaper, then that might not be strong enough. Its VERY VERY bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    If XMT4 doesn't work, you could try optimum Hyper Compound. What kind of car is it? I would stay away from the Hyper Compound if it has soft clear, but if it is a European, the OHC may help. Like liquid rocks.
    2005 Phantom Black Metallic GTO-M6
    Head/Cammed-450rwhp/415rwtq
    1/4--12.1 @ 118mph, 1.7 60'

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a Mitsubishi Eclipse, (1993), Mitsubishi Gave all of the Mitsubishi eclipses (maaco) paint jobs, so its not exactly the best paint.

I guess Ill try a PC 7424 and some xmt 4, but I dont want to blow over 100$ on stuff and have it not work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some bad water spots on my van from my sprinkers. Clay will do nothing to get water spots out. I used Pinnacle Swirl Remover to get the water spots off the paint with no problem. I also had bad water spots on the windows and tried a lot of different glass cleaning products on it and nothing worked. I finally tried Pinnacle Swirl Remover on the windows. It took off most of the water spots without maring the windows. I think Diamondite has some products that Meghan said will take out water spots on glass. I'm sure she would be happy to help you if you ask. Since I got the water spots off the glass I have been putting Klasse AIO on the glass. I have not noticed anymore water spots after using Klasse AIO.
    Last edited by Gary Sword; 04-19-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try XMT 3 before jumping to 4. Always try with a weaker product first. That paint is about 14 years old, you don't want to hit it witht the most aggressive combo first.
    2005 Phantom Black Metallic GTO-M6
    Head/Cammed-450rwhp/415rwtq
    1/4--12.1 @ 118mph, 1.7 60'