autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing door hinge area, and lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Hi Bill...

Don't know if I could possibly refine your way of cleaning/lubing the door hinge area
    of vehicles without, at first, knowing your current products/methodology/etc.

Are you prepared to do so?

Bob
    Ooooops! You caught me Bob. LOL! That was sort of my way of saying my method wasn't very good...but here it goes.

In the past I used to spray the area down heavily with a degreaser, like D301, and then would use soapy wrung out rags to wipe the area until it was thoroughly clean, then I'd rinse with a light flow of water, then dry. I do it this way because I have no power washer, which I'm not a big fan of using in these areas because of getting water inside the car, and I have no steamer. Obviously, my process is very time consuming, but thorough. I'm a believer tha additional tools like a steamer, or a tornador black, would greatly reduce my cleaning time by half in these areas. The next part is where I'm looking for the most "refinement" ...the lubricating of the hinge area.

I've used various products in spray cans and all seemed to lubricate fine, albeit they're short lived, but also have a tendency to run down the jam. I hate that as much as the lubrication evaporation, which brings me to the next products I've tried, or had the "luck" of cleaning out.

Some cars that I've cleaned the owner had taken never-seize and put into the hinge area. While this works great, it's a stinkin' mess. If you're not careful you can have this stuff all over a car and yourself in a flash and it's hard to remove. Therefore, never-seize is not my lubricant of choice.

I tend to use white lithium grease, not the spray type because it seems too thin. I force the grease with my fingers into the hinge area and wipe off excess. This is also a bit messy and time consuming, but the lithium grease stays put and seemingly lasts. One thing I have noticed though is that over time the grease tends to crust over. I've noticed this in cars that have had the grease applied and the jam hasn't been cleaned in quite some time.

This isn't something I dwell on and fret about, rather, it's just something that I've thought about from time-to-time. I really haven't put much thought into using or researching other products simply because I haven't worked on that many cars, but I have noticed those hinge areas on those cars. I just don't want a customer saying I removed the lubrication, so I want to find a product that (Thinking CRC sp350) will lubricate, stay put, and not look so apparent. My thought is that if I find the right product you won't even know it is there.

Is that enough Bob?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used lithium grease for a while but I'm not happy with it. It drys out at some point and it's messy to spray. I started using a plastic cup to spray some in and then brush it on to the hinge.

I think I'll look for the 3M one this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using BLASTER garage door lube and it works great. Back the hinge with a paper towel and spray to keep down the mess. It's thin and actually gets inside to the hinge pin. Doubt that greases do anything but sit on top.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite all-time penetrant/lubricants is Kroil and if you know anything about it you know why I like it so much. However, it is extremely thin and will run all over the place, but it will get where other lubricants (WD-40, PB Blaster, and so on) will not, and I'm not so sure it's the right product to use in the hinge area.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Ooooops! You caught me Bob. LOL! That was sort of my way of saying my method wasn't very good...but here it goes.

In the past I used to spray the area down heavily with a degreaser, like D301, and then would use soapy wrung out rags to wipe the area until it was thoroughly clean, then I'd rinse with a light flow of water, then dry. I do it this way because I have no power washer, which I'm not a big fan of using in these areas because of getting water inside the car, and I have no steamer. Obviously, my process is very time consuming, but thorough. I'm a believer tha additional tools like a steamer, or a tornador black, would greatly reduce my cleaning time by half in these areas. The next part is where I'm looking for the most "refinement" ...the lubricating of the hinge area.

I've used various products in spray cans and all seemed to lubricate fine, albeit they're short lived, but also have a tendency to run down the jam. I hate that as much as the lubrication evaporation, which brings me to the next products I've tried, or had the "luck" of cleaning out.

Some cars that I've cleaned the owner had taken never-seize and put into the hinge area. While this works great, it's a stinkin' mess. If you're not careful you can have this stuff all over a car and yourself in a flash and it's hard to remove. Therefore, never-seize is not my lubricant of choice.

I tend to use white lithium grease, not the spray type because it seems too thin. I force the grease with my fingers into the hinge area and wipe off excess. This is also a bit messy and time consuming, but the lithium grease stays put and seemingly lasts. One thing I have noticed though is that over time the grease tends to crust over. I've noticed this in cars that have had the grease applied and the jam hasn't been cleaned in quite some time.

This isn't something I dwell on and fret about, rather, it's just something that I've thought about from time-to-time. I really haven't put much thought into using or researching other products simply because I haven't worked on that many cars, but I have noticed those hinge areas on those cars. I just don't want a customer saying I removed the lubrication, so I want to find a product that (Thinking CRC sp350) will lubricate, stay put, and not look so apparent. My thought is that if I find the right product you won't even know it is there.

Is that enough Bob?
    Bump...awaiting Bob's reply.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wors View Post
    There has been other posts on this topic. One product that quite a few members mentioned was:

Würth HHS-K Spray Lubricant
    Ive recommended this in the past as well, but just recently tried Bostik Top Cote (not really meant to lubricate hinges). went on clear and works great. not sure about durability though. just cleaned off the lithium two weeks ago, and its been a bit cooler out, but so far so good.

here is the product description...TopCote forms a durable, water-repelling dry film on saw tables and tool surfaces to reduce sliding friction and eliminate surface "hang ups." Compared to paste wax, TopCote is 30% slicker, prevents rust longer and is easier to use. Its dry formula contains no silicone or petroleum and it will never stain wood or interfere with glues or finishes.
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing door hinge area, and lubrication. Stick type, wax base & worked great, but can't find

I've been looking for Tri-Flow @ places like Home Depot & Lowes as well as a few of the m/c shops that are left around here, and no luck period! Just last week I told myself "I guess it's not out anymore" & the mention you made of renewed my hope that it's still on the market, so my question is where are you finding it? We used it in the 80's & it is the goods. As for car door jambs, the reason that brought me to this forum, I used to use a stick lubricant w/ a wax type base. It was sold at any parts store & was the same as the factory's used. It lasted forever & in ten yrs. I had not used the entire stick. That is "was" sold @ any parts store, like anything that works so well & you don't have to keep buying it, it vanishes off the shelves forever! So this being my first post, I can hope more people see it & I find one of the lube stick things that make me spend an hour creating user names & bla,bla, computer stuff when all I'm looking for is quick answers

Post Thanks / Like

That is a great topic. I always struggle when I come upon a car that has lithium grease all over the door jambs. I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser 1:4 ratio but it doesn't work so well on thick grease. I have been thinking about switching to a solven based product for that specific issue. I am able to clean it with Super Degreaser but it takes a long time and many, many applications.

If you guys know of a non-solvent based products that works, I would sure like to know about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    That is a great topic. I always struggle when I come upon a car that has lithium grease all over the door jambs. I use Meguiar's Super Degreaser 1:4 ratio but it doesn't work so well on thick grease. I have been thinking about switching to a solven based product for that specific issue. I am able to clean it with Super Degreaser but it takes a long time and many, many applications.

If you guys know of a non-solvent based products that works, I would sure like to know about it.
    Goof off works great, use gloves though it is a nasty chemical.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing door hinge area, and lubrication. Stick type, wax base & worked great, but can't find

Quote Originally Posted by chuckylane View Post
    I've been looking for Tri-Flow @ places like Home Depot & Lowes as well as a few of the m/c shops that are left around here, and no luck period! Just last week I told myself "I guess it's not out anymore" & the mention you made of renewed my hope that it's still on the market, so my question is where are you finding it? We used it in the 80's & it is the goods. As for car door jambs, the reason that brought me to this forum, I used to use a stick lubricant w/ a wax type base. It was sold at any parts store & was the same as the factory's used. It lasted forever & in ten yrs. I had not used the entire stick. That is "was" sold @ any parts store, like anything that works so well & you don't have to keep buying it, it vanishes off the shelves forever! So this being my first post, I can hope more people see it & I find one of the lube stick things that make me spend an hour creating user names & bla,bla, computer stuff when all I'm looking for is quick answers
    Tri Flow isn't hard to find. Go to an Ace or any bicycle shop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast