autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I need help Like right NOW! (Opti Coat)

So a few months ago I did a guys 370 z and now he brought his massive Nissan NV3500! Its black, brand new and had lots of swirls. I did a 2 step correction that took about 12+ hours!

Went to apply the opti coat and it seemed to be applying kinda weird at first but but it seemed fine quickly. The tube was fine since I did a brz with the same tube recently. Anyways as I'm wiping, it looks oily. Everything seemed to wipe off. Well I got done with the entire vehicle and I pulled my halogen out and was walking along the truck and noticed tons of spots all over. I'm not sure if these are all high spots or what? I have never had this happen to me. I did do things a little different this time and did one panel moved to the next then took a towel and wiped the previous panel.

Here's a couple pics hopefully you can see what I'm talking about. Also I used mineral spirits to remove the polishes. I did 3 separate wipes.

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need help Like right NOW! (Opti Coat)

I only have experience using Opticoat on 2 vehicles, but one was black and whenever I had high spots it looked just like what your pictures are showing. It's an oily type of sheen. I think if you don't knock them down within a minute or two you're more likely to have some spots remaining. Maybe doing entire panels at a time caused the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSean View Post
    I only have experience using Opticoat on 2 vehicles, but one was black and whenever I had high spots it looked just like what your pictures are showing. It's an oily type of sheen.
    I'm tempted to get up early rebuff it and start over.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to wash it off still? I know they say not to wash the vehicle for 24 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSean View Post
    Is it possible to wash it off still? I know they say not to wash the vehicle for 24 hours.
    I wonder if I can use minerals spirits?

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't know if I have enough product to do the entire truck again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no personal experience with this coating, but how long ago did you use this last exactly? When this stuff does bad pretty sure it gets hard, so that shouldnt be a problem. There is def a smearing look to some of those pics, are you sure the mineral spirits removed all the polish?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the time and desire it would be easy to go over the specific spots you are seeing with your finishing polish while the product is still relatively fresh. When I put OC on my windows I got a drop of OC on my paint. Didn't notice it until the next day, but SF4500 removed it pretty easily because it hadn't fully hardened. That might be your best option if it is just some spots here and there that need fixing.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not the biggest of Griots products and Im still in testing of the Griots Sealant so far but the few cars I have put that sealant on it never turned out like that. It went very easy and came off very easy with not problems at all. I just might end up liking that sealant after all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try lightly polishing an area and then checking to see if the coating properties are still intact. If that works, continue with the rest of the vehicle. Some 205 on a clean microfiber by hand should give you some idea if its going to work.

If I understood your post correctly, you applied to one panel, then applied to the next, then returned to the previous panel for the wipe down. Seems to me that's too long to let the product sit and would encourage high spots and streaking. All the instructions I've read and Chris' videos I've watched demonstrate working one section at a time.

Perhaps you were in a rush to finish, tried a method that might work faster, and it backfired. Rest assured I'd get tired of looking at that monstrosity of a vehicle after 12 hours as well. I hope you can get it figured out, hopefully removal and re-application isn't necessary. I'm sure Chris will be responding to this in the morning if he sees it. Might want to send him a PM just to be sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast