Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The Qashqai has a CVT, but it has a manual mode, which is just a dumb idea, but I had to go and look to see which way it "shifts". Yeah it's forward for up a gear, and back for down, which is why I never used it that way, it feels wrong. Although the other day I was giving it a bit on an uphill country road and it imitated a normal auto all by itself, like it was going up through the gears, I hope I didn't break something.

I do like the shifter in the FJ, it's of the gated Toyota kind, but I especially like that I can change the knob very easily, anything with an M8 thread will fit

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
CVT's have spread like the plague in the last decade, mostly Japanese vehicles. A CVT would be a deal breaker for me, and even though most have programmed steps above a certain throttle percentage, I just hate how they feel and sound. I rented a CVT Corolla in New Zealand, which was driven around on the amazing mountain roads, it just screamed its head off all the time and despite a competent chassis, the CVT really sucked the life out the drive. The funny thing is, CVT gearboxes suit the vast majority of drivers on the road.