autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't get rid of test spot lines

So I was detailing my roommates car today with poorboys ssrs 1-3. I was using a masked off test spot to get the look I was going for. When I moved on with the rest of the panel, I couldn't buff out the masking tape line from the edge of the test spot. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas to try?

On the test spot I used ssr3 with about 6 section passes using pc7427 and a 4 inch cutting pad. Then used ssr 1 with a 4 inch gray finishing pad doing about 8 section passes. When I removed the tape I went over the test spot line with a 4 inch orange cutting pad, doing 2 sets of 8 sections passes, and then ssr 1 again with a 4 inch gray finishing pad doing 1 set of 8 section passes, and the lines are still there.
    Last edited by 1Clean3; 09-11-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't get rid of test spot lines

Is this tape residue lines?

Mike Phillips

That's the downside of the tape-line...

One thing I do is I very rarely buff a lot next to the actual strip of tape. Some paints are harder to remove any line left than others...

Also happens when you use aggressive products and also happens if you keep testing in the same area...

I've had this problem before too and all I've every done is continue buffing on the non-test side around the line to try to level it...

Be careful if this is factory paint...

Post Thanks / Like

yep, this is why I dont do test spot's with tape anymore. I etched out a really deep gouge once in my paint that I did not feel safe fully removing. Luckily it was near window trim and on a light colored car. I could feel it with my fingernail. If you buff hard against the tape to show a GOOD 50/50, the pad basically buffs up against and then is forced under the tape (on a very tiny scale obviously. I'm just overstating it to get a mental image of whats going on)

I'm now super careful about taping the car, and when I do, I always tuck the end of the tape facing the paint UNDERNEATH the trim piece.

I have seen a few professional detailers mention this problem on this forum. But its not a hot topic unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

My first 2 full paint correction jobs I taped off the sections that I was working on and had the same problem. Would spend more time trying to buff/remove the residue and/or tape line back out. Now I just tape off the necessary trim and detail away which ended up saving me a good amount of time per detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats why you dont use the tape when detailing ever. You buff away so much then you have to buff enough to level the edges. You dont need a tape line to see before and afters.

But, best of luck. I would try buffing a little more on the line to level it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another reason not to use tape...

The rare times that I do use tape I use 3M 5 day tape
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's a bummer.... but.... there are different types of tapes....
    The regular type, the brown one... I'll never use it... even a 3M one... used once and regret for 3 or 4 extra hours on the job....
    I was using the blue premium one from 3M, great tape... will leave little residue and won't be eaten by the machine very easily...
    2 weeks ago I was detailing outside of my city and I couldn't find the blue tape anywhere, but fortunately I've found the green one.. the 3M 233, which is way cheaper then the blue one.... but to tell you the truth ? I didn't like it very much either.... of course... it's worlds better than the regular masking tape, but it's no match for the blue one from 3M.

PS: The 3M blue tape I guess it's the Scotch Blue...
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind if tape did you use? I assume the kind of tape you used here is irrelevant and just a matter of evening out the painted surface

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast