autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Respirator for IronX

I'm the kind of guy that if something bad is going to happen, it's gonna happen to me. After reading that some people wear a respirator while using IronX, I'm thinking that's not a bad idea for me. Can anyone point me to a specific respirator that would be good for use with IronX? I started looking online and it seems the options are endless.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Respirator for IronX

I'd also like to know of a good inexpensive respirator to use when applying hf acid. I use a foaming sprayer so I don't think I'm really getting any in the air, but it's always better to be safe than sorry I guess. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I went to one of the big box stores and got one that was rated for paint fumes, etc.... looks like something you would wear during a plague in a Sci fi movie :-) Not sure about the specific rating scale, but I use to paint streets and that mask kept that nasty stuff out of my lungs when mixing and loading up the trucks. Has to work for IronX.

Post Thanks / Like

ive never used one ..... didnt think i had to but now im worried lol. interested to see what people post

Post Thanks / Like

My personal feeling is that they aren't extremely important if you are in a well ventilated area and using a sprayer that isn't throwing a ton of mist in the air, but it definitely couldn't hurt anything to put one on for a couple minutes while using harsh products.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be applying it outside but from the sounds of it, the smell is quite strong so I wasn't sure if a respirator was necessary or not since I've seen other people post about wearing one.

Sent from my Droid using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry too much. I just wear one, because I've inhaled way too much junk in my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aalbs View Post
    Can anyone point me to a specific respirator that would be good for use with IronX?
    Here's one while using IronX...and a host of other "Chemicals"---With one caveat...

{My Personal Plea: "Please stay away from HF"!!!}

BTW...Glad you don't want to take chances!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I know man, I'm trying to limit my use of HF these days...for my personal health and the environment. If I could just find something that worked even slightly comparable and was almost as cost effective. It's just that HF takes wheels from being something that I dread to literally one of the easiest steps in my detail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Here's one while using IronX...and a host of other "Chemicals"---With one caveat...

{My Personal Plea: "Please stay away from HF"!!!}

BTW...Glad you don't want to take chances!!

Bob

I am a safety guy and when you select a respirator, make sure you test the seal of the mask. It is very important to do the checks because you want to ensure you are properly protected. Short of fit testing you with a quantatative test, this is your best route.

Facepiece Positive and/or Negative Pressure Checks

A. Positive pressure check. Close off the exhalation valve and exhale gently into the facepiece. The face fit is considered satisfactory if a slight positive pressure can be built up inside the facepiece without any evidence of outward leakage of air at the seal. For most respirators this method of leak testing requires the wearer to first remove the exhalation valve cover before closing off the exhalation valve and then carefully replacing it after the test.

B. Negative pressure check. Close off the inlet opening of the canister or cartridge(s) by covering with the palm of the hand(s) or by replacing the filter seal(s), inhale gently so that the facepiece collapses slightly, and hold the breath for ten seconds. The design of the inlet opening of some cartridges cannot be effectively covered with the palm of the hand. The test can be performed by covering the inlet opening of the cartridge with a thin latex or nitrile glove. If the facepiece remains in its slightly collapsed condition and no inward leakage of air is detected, the tightness of the respirator is considered satisfactory.

As for the cartridge, any organic vapor cartridge should work. The above pictures are good quality and would do the job. Do not mix manufactures. (e.g. 3M with North)

Safety first!
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Brilliant Black

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast