autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you know the "baggie test" was patented?

Yep. Using a plastic film between your hand and the paint surface is patented. Granted in 1998.
    Patent US5716259 - Surface polishing method and system - Google Patents

Jeez...I can remember a woodworking teacher in the 70's showing the class how to use a sandwich baggie to feel your finished surface for dust that got cured into the finish so you could then use fine sandpaper or steel wool to get it glassy smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did you know the "baggie test" was patented?

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Yep. Using a plastic film between your hand and the paint surface is patented. Granted in 1998.
    Patent US5716259 - Surface polishing method and system - Google Patents

Jeez...I can remember a woodworking teacher in the 70's showing the class how to use a sandwich baggie to feel your finished surface for dust that got cured into the finish so you could then use fine sandpaper or steel wool to get it glassy smooth.
    Well, then you can get the patented invalidated if you can demonstrate that there was prior art. Do you have it in your notes from class? Did he have a handout that showed that?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the graphic of "how to put hand in baggie..."

Post Thanks / Like

how could this even be a patent this... would he sue people for infringing his patent ? haha.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't advertise the fact that your "baggie" can be used to check your paint you don't infringe on his patent.

I seem to remember that somebody actually patented the concept of the wheel barrow and attempted to collect a use fee from all the different manufacturers but he was counter sued and lost. So I guess the patent office doesn't do a very good job of weeding out bad patents.

I wonder if I can patent the concept of a small, handheld wirelss communication device?

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out this patent (US5716259) covering the baggie test was expired 3-8-2010 due to non-payment of maintenance fee. I guess they didn't see the point paying the fees since they had no plans to enforce it (in fact, general knowledge of the baggie method using common household baggies probably helped sales since it's so helpful in showing the value of clay to new users/customers).

Still, I've never seen the baggie test recommended, or a baggie/glove included on retail clay packaging (besides ClayMagic itself).

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm glad I don't have to pay back royalties.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Turns out this patent (US5716259) covering the baggie test was expired 3-8-2010 due to non-payment of maintenance fee. I guess they didn't see the point paying the fees since they had no plans to enforce it (in fact, general knowledge of the baggie method using common household baggies probably helped sales since it's so helpful in showing the value of clay to new users/customers).
    Wow, how did you find that out? You should add that info to my thread here: Clay Patents

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Well I'm glad I don't have to pay back royalties.
    Hehe, yea a lifetime of baggies is probably 20 cents worth.
    Seriously though, I doubt they ever intended to enforce on individuals. Just makes no financial sense. They'd probably have only enforced in on a manufacturer selling packaged clay with a baggie, and since they control the supply they don't even have to worry about that.

Setec Astronomy: Found it on the PAIR (Patent Application Information Retrieval) website. Shows it expired on the main page and in the transaction information tab. You can also find continuity (parent/child patents) info there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, how did you find that out? l

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBllfqkMEw]Dale Gribble - Computers don't make errors... - YouTube[/video]
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast