autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Accidents Happen

So today I'm working on a Toyota Camry and prior to washing the car I decided to clean the gas door from what looks to be mold.

I simply sprayed Optimum Power Clean at full strength on the affected area and proceeded to brush with a boar's hair detail brush followed by a micro fiber towel dipped in car soap with NO dwell time. After rinsing I was left with the following:

This is not a slam against Optimum so please do not take it that way or re-post it as such. This is the first time this has happened in the 3 years that I have been using Power Clean, even at full strength. Remember there was no dwell time here so it's not like I was careless and let the product dry on the surface. Could the mold or grime have weakened the paint? Possibly, but there is no way of telling at this point. Should I have reached for my 3:1 mix and use it? Possibly, but that ratio could have or could not have produced the same results.

I immediately contacted the owner and shared the same pictures with him via text and offered to pay for paint repair, he simply said don't worry about it and thanks for the honesty and asked that I continue with the detail. Lucky break? Yes, but I still feel horrible about the situation.

Take care,

Richard
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at the pics on my phone and honestly don't see what the issue is? What am I missing?

Either way, honesty is the best policy and you did just that. I detailed a Tiburon earlier this week and while drying the car I accidently took off the T and told the customer right away, he said it happened when they got it too but I think he might have been just being nice. I asked for some superglue and he even said he'd take care of it.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Accidents Happen

You were honest. But I think that the damage is from poor workmanship from the car manufacturer. I would just put acouple coats of sealant on it so it is protected somewhat. Was the owner a repeat or new customer? If a new customer offer a discount on the next detail to show goodwill. If repeat customer I would also offer a discount on the next detail.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Did you have paint on the towel? While it's true that molds and fungi have to eat something, and that something can be paint, that looks like more of a (paint) prep problem having to do with the bracket welded to the inside of the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell because of the grime on the towel. I used a different towel and wiped the opposite direction with a polish and it had the same effect but sadly changed color.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a new customer through a referral. That's the toughest part for me because I hold my work to high standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Odds are good you removed paint that had already oxidized; those areas simply are not treated so this would be considered normal wear and tear as far as I am concerned. Still, I would have acted the same way you did. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that was probably preexisting issue. I bet using water would have caused the same issue

Post Thanks / Like

That area does not have clear coat. It probally only had a couple swipes from the paintgun to boot

That was very honorable of you to tell the owner about this Richard
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Odds are good you removed paint that had already oxidized; those areas simply are not treated so this would be considered normal wear and tear as far as I am concerned. Still, I would have acted the same way you did. :-)

I agree. You would think the paint would hold well there considering that gas is being poured through there, and accidents happen where gas can get on the door and if not wiped right away can eat the paint. You were honest and I'm sure that customer will be back. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast