autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    Let's all face reality: it's very hard to keep a daily driver completely swirl free with no spider webbing or anything.

All we're doing by using MFs, ShMITTs and lots of lube is damage control.
    Gosh everybody, thanks, but my question was about why Process 1 is giving a better result than Process 2, since it skips a step.

But since you have asked about the cobwebs, I think Lexus paint is notorious for cobwebbing, but, yes, I use the two bucket method with two grit guards, a Meg's wash mitt, Gold Class wash soap, Cobra drying towels, and QD the last water droplets and any streaks off with a MF. Perhaps I should also mention that I only do about a3X3 area with the wash mitt before flipping it, and then return it to the rinse bucket where I swish it and then rub it on the grit guard before returning it to the soap bucket. I have several mitts, one is dedicated for around the bottom of the car. I think this is pretty much "textbook" wash method. I "think" the webbing is from the drying--I am going to blot in the future, instead of rubbing the towel around, then spray wax with Liquid Souveran (which arrived unexpectedly at my front door yesterday!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    keeping swirls at bay means changing your washing and drying techniques. Even the application of polishes and waxes. (no circles)

That said, most polishes have alot of fillers in them. So when you are polishing you are almost packing the swirls with these fillers also. Sure it looks great, but after a wash or two the fillers are gone and the swirls they were hiding are back. This is why I preach that you stop, do an alcohol wipe, and repolish as needed. Otherwise you are somewhat being tricked ...
    OK--thats it. I am going to come to all of your homes and wash your cars with Number 80 sandpaper and a bag of Quikcrete for lubrication! My question was at to my polishing process with the different products and pads.

Dear friends,set aside for the moment the origin of the swirls, WHY IS PROCESS 1 GIVING ME A BETTER RESULT THAN PROCESS 2?

Post Thanks / Like
    your sexy when your mad ....

(and your never coming to my bat cave with that attitude)

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    keeping swirls at bay means changing your washing and drying techniques. Even the application of polishes and waxes. (no circles)

That said, most polishes have alot of fillers in them. So when you are polishing you are almost packing the swirls with these fillers also. Sure it looks great, but after a wash or two the fillers are gone and the swirls they were hiding are back. This is why I preach that you stop, do an alcohol wipe, and repolish as needed. Otherwise you are somewhat being tricked ...
    pure polishes like optimum have fillers in them ?? i never new that. so after i polish and area i have to go over it again with a solvent to see if i really did anything??
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trhland
    pure polishes like optimum have fillers in them ?? i never new that. so after i polish and area i have to go over it again with a solvent to see if i really did anything??
    see PM for better explanation. Use a test area to guage if polish and pad choice are correct. Most polishes have some light filling ability, so better to test and redo as needed prior to finishing entire car.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    BlackCoupe, are you sure that an orange pad is totally necessary? I would think that spider webbing etc. would benefit from one or two passes of the white pad with a medium/fine polish.

Perhaps skip the orange pad, and do two passes of the white. Then follow with the gray and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P1et
    BlackCoupe, are you sure that an orange pad is totally necessary? I would think that spider webbing etc. would benefit from one or two passes of the white pad with a medium/fine polish.

Perhaps skip the orange pad, and do two passes of the white. Then follow with the gray and see what happens.
    I did various combinations, writing them down, and giving each a second try, taping off, and comparing in sunlight and in the garage with a dual xenon light.

But regardless, two passes of white and one of Menzerna is a total of three. Right now, I can go from orange w/ 83 right to Menzerna, total two passes,

Howeve, It will experiment some more with the trunk, although, for some reason, it does not seem to have the same amount of spiderwebbing. I agree that it makes perfect sense that a white pad with 80 and a medium/fine polish should do it, but it hasn't. I will experiment with some SSR1 I have, with a white CCS.

Post Thanks / Like
    your sexy when your mad ....
    I know! and I flaunt it!

P.S. Thanks for mentioning the filler thing. After reading that, I wiped down with IA after the Menzerna to see if I was being fooled, and the finish was still high gloss, no webbing. I love that stuff. I don;t know why someone hasn't ripped off the forumla--it can't be rocket science.

Post Thanks / Like
    Killer could I get that PM too about the "fillers in polishes?" Thanks!

2005 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
    aka "Storm Trooper"

"Car waxes and paint sealants are to men like shoes are to women, you can never have too many" - Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that skipping a step would produce such results. I guess you never can predict.

I also think you're going to swirl the car no matter how careful you are - minimize the damage as much as possible, and don't kill yourself over it. It's still going to look better than 98% of them, or moree, out there!
    lauren
    ~Lulu~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast