autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Going from Griot's 6 ROP to Meg's V2...

Well guys, today I bought an almost new G110 V2 as I've sold my griot's a couple of months ago.... oh regret....

Anyway... I don't if know it's just me but I liked Griot's construction better...
    - The griot's on off switch seems a lot firmer and it does have that touch off system which is quite great once you get used to it.
    - Griot's housing protection for the spindle is made of a thick metal while Meg's is plastic... BTW the one I bought is already cracked after only 1 use.
    - Griot's has more power

But....
    - I do like better Meg's Handle.
    - Meg's speed adjustment dial is better too... it's step less while griot's goes in steps of .5 from 1 to 6 but the dial is not very precise, kind of loose and sometimes you can place it in the wrong speed.
    - Meg's DA is lighter and shorter.
    - Meg's got that cruise mechanism which seems to be very interesting.

I still haven't used Meg's... I can't wait to have the opportunity... I'm guessing it has less vibration than the griot's and I'm pretty curious to check this cruise control of it.....

What do you guys think about my thoughts ?
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)

Mike Phillips

Re: Going from Griot's 6 ROP to Meg's V2...

Keep us updated as there's always lots of interest in these types of topics...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Keep us updated as there's always lots of interest in these types of topics...

Will do for sure!

Next week this machine will face a fierce battle..... A repainted car of a friend of mine... I'm yet to meet the car but he described the paint as looking like a refrigerator's paint.
    And this will be my 1st time sanding... unfortunately I have no DA sanding discs right now to complete this task.... it will be all by hand.... we'll see how well the G110 v2 will do removing these sanding mark.

Mike, as you're already here, can you please answer me a couple of questions ?

Have you ever saw this cracks on the protection housing from these machines ? is it common to happen ?
    How low can I go on grit to be able to take everything out using this G110 v2 with a Meg's MF 6" Cutting Pad and D300 or M105, without it becoming a pain to complete the task ? 2000 grit ?
    I'm really a newbie on wet sanding a paint, all I have is the meguiar's sanding block and the tutorials you've made. What's the most important tips you can give me ?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... time to update.

I've used the Megs G110v2 to buff a honda civic that was almost new, rather than the car I was supposed to wetsand which wasn't ready to work on.

Let's go for the comparison between Griot's and Meg's DA polishers.

G110v2 vs Griots 6" ROP

POWER:
    - This one goes to Griot's. Meg's machine is a lot easier to bog down, but still don't get me wrong, the G110v2 has plenty power to get the job done... once on speed 6 it becomes hard to stop it if not edging or applying tremendous amount of pressure.
    On speed 6 it felt more like the Griot's on speed 5 to 5.5..... on speed 6 some Griot's go just crazy... which most people will rarely use, but it's useful on very complicated panels where the pad will be edging all the time.

NOISE:
    - It's a tie.... maybe Megs is a little more silent but both are too loud to my taste.

VIBRATION:
    - This one I'll give the edge to Meg's machine, although it's not for much... just a little more stable than the Griot's

WEIGHT:
    - Definitively Meg's wins... it's lighter than the Griot's, which makes all the difference on your back and arms on the end of the day...

HANDLE:
    - Griot's wins... both handles are good, but I liked Griot's better because it provides a little more height, so you can still grab the machine head with the handle attached if you don't have a too big hand.... so when you get tired from the handle, just grab the head and vice versa..... ALSO, very important... Griot's handle is way firmer... I had a problem with the Meg's handle which would slide position, where it has never happened to me with the Griot's.

MACHINE BODY:
    - Meg's Wins... Meg's machine is shorter and lighter which provides more comfort and maneuverability.

MACHINE CONTROL:
    - Almost a Tie, but Meg's has the edge.... both are easy to control, even with one hand, but I felt Meg's was easier, maybe it's due to the lower power output.

ON/OFF BUTTON:
    - Griot's, hands down... this one like the POWER is where griot's wins with a huge margin.... The Griots on/off button is so much better and well located than the Meg's one..... it also has a quick touch off which helps more than not... I struggled to like Meg's on/off switch, I really don't like it... specially when trying to clean your pads on the fly.

SPEED DIAL:
    - Meg's has this one... Meg's button is great compared to Griot's... it's stepless and a lot more precise.... I often found myself trying to figure if the right speed was set on the Griot's because the speed dial is very loose between steps.

BRUSHES:
    - Meg's Wins... very easy to access and change.

POWER CORD:
    - I have mixed feeling about that but I'll give it to Griot's.... Meg's cord terminal is better than the griot's, it has a shark like rubber on the machine side, which in my opinion will likely prevent the cord to go bad as fast as griot's, I found it to be a nice great detail as it won't let the power cord hanging on odd angles... point to Meg's.... but..... I had the HD model from Griot's (I can't say for the non HD model cord), and it was a thicker and longer cord which was great, although Meg's cord will be easier to bend which can and cannot be a good thing depending on the situation... I found the original Meg's cord just too short... it's really a bummer... again, I was using a HD model from Griot's.... in other others... be sure to get a good extension when using Meg's or Griot's non HD model...

HEAT:
    - Equal, it's nothing that will make you uncomfortable with both machines...

COLOR:
    - Well, it's up to you... I like Meg's better

MECHANISM HOUSING:
    - Well, I thought I could separate this one because it was something I really didn't liked when I first got Meg's.... On Griot's it's a thick metal which makes it a lot more quality than Meg's..... on Meg's it's made from plastic, which will easily crack if not well cared, mine is already cracked and glued. Of course I'm the 2nd owner, but the first one had it for 1 car only... and I do think it's a machine build issue........ but ok... let's try to be fair here.... it's safer to have a plastic piece than a metal one close to your car... although you'll hardly ever made to hit the car with that piece..... and if you do, well, you must have done some really odd movement..... and another advantage of being plastic... it's lighter... but I don't think it was the reason behind when choosing the material or else it would have been done of carbon fiber or something..... To sum up... Griot's, hands down.

EASINESS TO MASTER:
    - Meg's has this one... Although not by much I tend to like Meg's easier to handle and master..... and One VERY IMPORTANT aspect... when first starting detailing I struggled to get a good sense of pressure applied with the griot's, because the machine just won't bog down..... and I must admit I got it wrong until I used the g110v2.
    Although not being a good thing, the G110v2 will bog down more easily which in turn will tell you very well how is your applied pressure.... I'm guilty of overly applying pressure with the Griot's and this is something I'll start to perfecting now with the G110v2... Although it's personal, I think it must be true with most people that are new to detailing and buffing with a machine.

BOTTOM LINE:
    - Both machines are great. Both will get the work done although Griot's has more power to tackle nastier stuff and work on more complicate panels. Both machine are not too heavy, but Meg's do is lighter and more comfortable to work with.... if you're a hobbyist only polishing your family car once or twice a year, I'd say go with Meg's, but if you're planning on working with detailing, go with Griot's (HD model) because of the spare power and better cord.

Well that's it, I hope you guys like my head to head on the Griot's vs Meg's DA Polishers

Post Thanks / Like
    Great review, thanks! I am a hobbyist and got the Griots solely because of the lifetime warranty. Since I only use the machine a couple of times a year the warranty was what tipped it in Griots favor. I knew the GG had more power than the Meg's but also Meguiars was having major cord issues with their polisher as well.

Post Thanks / Like

You said the handle changed positions on the meg?? Are the screws tha hold it on tight...If they are tight it really shouldn't jump. I would leave the brushes alone until you have to replace them...you may come across another problem at that time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capa1970 View Post
    Great review, thanks! I am a hobbyist and got the Griots solely because of the lifetime warranty. Since I only use the machine a couple of times a year the warranty was what tipped it in Griots favor. I knew the GG had more power than the Meg's but also Meguiars was having major cord issues with their polisher as well.
    That's a great point too in favor of the Griot's, I completely forgot to mention that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    You said the handle changed positions on the meg?? Are the screws tha hold it on tight...If they are tight it really shouldn't jump. I would leave the brushes alone until you have to replace them...you may come across another problem at that time...
    Yes, it jumped... after that I went to tight some more the screws, but I really wasn't that confident anymore about it... we'll see... I only used it for 1 car while I did 9 cars with the griot's.

About the brushes it was just me stating a fact not that I did ever touched it....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I have a PC7242, GG 6 and now a Flex 3401. The GG is comparable to the Flex. The GG has a lot of power. The only issue I have with the GG is that it generates a lot of heat at the backingplate. Did the Meg's develop a lot of heat at the backingplate. The flex seems to disapate heat better then the GG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    Nice review. I have a PC7242, GG 6 and now a Flex 3401. The GG is comparable to the Flex. The GG has a lot of power. The only issue I have with the GG is that it generates a lot of heat at the backingplate. Did the Meg's develop a lot of heat at the backingplate. The flex seems to disapate heat better then the GG.
    I realized the same amount of heat with both to tell you the truth... maybe griot's a little more, I think it must be due to the higher power available.

When you mean the griot's is equivalent to the flex 3401... what do you mean ?
    I'm pretty interested on buying a flex 3401.
    I always thought a 3401 would correct faster and have less vibration than a griot's... what do you think on both head to head ?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review. I was going back and forth on these 2 and decided when the time is right to get the Griot's too. This review confirmed it. Thanks for all the great info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast