autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help! What is this and how do I fix it? (white 'residue' on rubber trim)

A few months ago I noticed that the rubber trim around the windshield was starting to turn a bit white. Haven't washed the car much lately and recently moved into a new house (from an apartment) so I can finally wash the car whenever I want. Washed it on Saturday evening using Citrus Wash and Gloss (1 oz in 4 gallons of water). After rinsing and drying, the rubber trim was even whiter than normal. I then applied Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus which initially made it quite a bit better, but by the next morning it was horrible again (was this not the right product to use in that it would just 'seal in' the white, and I need something to turn it black first, then I would use the Ultima?).

Below are two pics (one farther out and one zoomed in). Please disregard the footprints on the hood/windshield as yes, that very night something decided to walk all over my car

Any thoughts as to what's going on and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help! What is this and how do I fix it? (white 'residue' on rubber trim)

There are a couple products but I haven't found one that works permanantly yet so I too, will await some advice from the experts on the forum. However, if you get some Mother's "Back to Black" and rub it in real good, it should remove those spots. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

VW Tiguan?

Post Thanks / Like

P21S GEP is my go to product for getting water spots off trim. Heck even a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water will get those spots off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bsirbu View Post
    VW Tiguan?
    Audi Q5

Quote Originally Posted by RhetoricMixes View Post
    P21S GEP is my go to product for getting water spots off trim. Heck even a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water will get those spots off.
    Thanks! I'll try vinegar and water and see if that works. Just use a MF towel? Or some kind of foam pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newb001 View Post
    Thanks! I'll try vinegar and water and see if that works. Just use a MF towel? Or some kind of foam pad?
    I use a mf towel first and it that doesnt help ill use a terry cloth towel since they are more rough than a MF.