autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What on Earth is this??? Please help

Was taken back today (Oz time) by my GF. Guy looked at it, was like, wow, that shouldn't have left like that, they haven't polished it properly, the whole bonnet will need to be redone.

So, we shall see what it comes back like this time, hopefully better :S

Complaint will go into insurancec either way, this sort of thing really shouldn't happen, especially when 95% of people wouldn't have even picked it up! So annoying!

Thanks again for everyonwes help, I'll post up pics later in the week of the "final" repair lol

Post Thanks / Like

hey bobbyG great synchronised posting there by us

to answer your last question, they are one repair shop on a list for the insurance company, so yeah, recommened/preferred/authorised.

Post Thanks / Like

Not for anything but the body shop did the right thing in terms of addressing this problem; time will tell if they will run the car through their process again or add some additional inspection steps this time around. Those shops are run by humans just like any other company; sometimes people just make a mistake. I suspect they had an apprentice work on the car and no one else inspected their work.

At the Volkswagen dealership where I had wanted a very minor paint-loss defect fixed, the specific fix involved breaking off a plastic trim piece and replacing it (since it was glued), and also repainting the defect; which required the entire rear deck lid to ensure a good blend of the paint was achieved. Initially, I was somewhat please and relieved to hear they were keeping the car an extra day because the initial paint application did not blend well enough with the rest of the car; and they wanted to redo the whole lid again. I wasn't happy, but I liked the fact that they had a sense of quality assurance in their work.

Unfortunately, the body shop had the car 3 more times over the course of a month. Aside from the initial repaint action, beyond that it was easy to tell that no supervisor or service manager inspected the results. There was also a stupid cost avoidance decision made on the part of the dealership that didn't pan out either so I had to hold everyone accountable each step of the way.

Each person in the chain expected "the process" will produce the desired expectation; as if they were flipping burgers at McD's. Each time I went to pick up my car, I noticed problems within 10 seconds.

I didn't have a problem with the body shop per se. I had a problem with the 3-5 sets of supervisory eyes at the body shop and the dealership that should have inspected the areas worked on before I was informed the work was completed.

I displayed extreme patience, fortunate for them I work from home. When that wasn't working I had to literally tell them how to do their job in this area of quality assurance, "I expect each of you to inspect this vehicle as if it were your own and ensure what you told me you were going to do, happened". It certainly became a painful experience for them since I was filling out surveys each time and I figure those surveys went to Volkswagen corporate. :-)

All-in-all, they did the right thing eventually and I developed a couple of additional relationships out of the whole affair. I appreciated the fact that not once did they try to b.s. me. They took accountability every time there was an issue. It was not a hack job mentality I was noting, just ineffective management.

Best of luck to you as this gets cleaned up.

Mike Phillips

Please keep us updated.

In this picture, it looks kind of like patches of stuck on compound residue or some type of liquid that pooled and dried on the paint.

I could be sanding marks but since the patches have somewhat distinct round borders it would have to have been done using something like a #" sanding disc on a 3" Griot's Mini Polisher to leave that kind of appearance.

Griot's 3" Mini Polisher works great as a 3" Dampsander

Post Thanks / Like

So it came back today, with some issues looking better, but not really fixed at all (as I kinda expected). It came back with water spots all over it, i couldn't believe that to start with! They have left marring (i think) where the original marks were that they have tried to fix. there is also a little hole/crater on the bonnet, there is paint over it so i'm not sure what is going on with it.... there is also still at least one bad patch, that was the same at the patches on the bonnet, just under the wing mirror.

Next step will be to the insurance company, any insight you guys can provide would be great, i've taken a bunch of photos but some of it is just difficult to capture.

All I can say is we gave the shop a second chance, and they tried, but they ultimately failed, disapointing really.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What on Earth is this??? Please help-1-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-2-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-3-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-4-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-6-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-7-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-8-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-9-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-10-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-13-jpg  

What on Earth is this??? Please help-14-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-15-jpg   What on Earth is this??? Please help-16-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Their work looks horrible.

I routinely take people that have NEVER machine buffed paint in their lives and turn out flawless show car finishes. It's just not that hard to do.

Here's four recent examples...

Don is brand new to machine polishing and in his late 70's or early 80's

Both Brenda and Matt are BRAND NEW to machine polishing

Trista, age 21, BRAND NEW to machine polishing...

Trista removing swirls on a show car...

Tyler, age 15 brand new to machine polishing...

Go to your insurance agent and show him the below cars and say this is what paint is supposed to look like after a new paint job and a correct paint polishing process.

Show this to the body shop that did the work to.

I have a Detailing Boot Camp Class coming up on September 29th and 30th, tell both the insurance agent and the owner of the body shop if they fly up here and attend the class they too can learn how paint should look after polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

That sucks man. That is terrible looking.

This is why I will not get my cars failing clearcoat fixed "professionally". Id rather have failing clear than effed up paint.

Good luck, and hopefully you will get it fixed.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mike, unfortunately I'm in Australia, so it would be a bit of a trip for them, otherwise I might have suggested it

Anyone have ideas on what the dimple is/how it was caused?

At the end of the day in fairly confident that I'll be able to fix it, but when people are being paid to do that I shouldn't have to, or at the very least, I should get a discount if I have to fix dodgy work.

Insurance company will probably get an email tonight, if anyone can shed light on the simple before then I'd appreciate it. Tonight Australian time, which would probably be like 3am in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magna_power View Post
    Thanks mike, unfortunately I'm in Australia, so it would be a bit of a trip for them, otherwise I might have suggested it

Anyone have ideas on what the dimple is/how it was caused?

At the end of the day in fairly confident that I'll be able to fix it, but when people are being paid to do that I shouldn't have to, or at the very least, I should get a discount if I have to fix dodgy work.

Insurance company will probably get an email tonight, if anyone can shed light on the simple before then I'd appreciate it. Tonight Australian time, which would probably be like 3am in the US.
    I'm stunned at how horrible their 2nd shot at correcting this turned out.....

After looking closely at your photos the "dimple" could possibly be caused to an improperly prepped surface resulting in "fish-eyes". Additionally, I feel I should suggest the possibility of paint failure throughout the entire section.

Paint Defects Solution Guide, Fish Eyes | DuPont Performance Coatings

Before you try tackling this yourself, your insurance company should see this substandard work and you my friend stand firm with them because this is totally unacceptable....I'm not suggesting you don't try to repair this yourself but your insurance company has paid for this repair to be done correctly..........and it wasn't...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would confirm the insurance company agrees the work is unacceptable. After they come around, ask them if they want to find another body shop because you are firing these hacks (I would use the term). They also have the option to pay your body shop or detailer of choice. Either way, you interview the people that will be doing the work and ensure they understand your expectations. Get written confirmation that they will eliminate these defects.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast