autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

step between clay and opti-seal (or klasse)

I have been lurking here for a few days learning about how to properly wash and care for my car. The car is a few years old and I've mostly neglected washing and waxing, etc.

I'm trying to change that now, and I know how to do a proper two-bucket wash. I am also planning to aggressively clean the wheels which have a lot of baked-in brake dust (hopefully Iron-X and Meguiars APC+ will do the job). My question is what to do after washing to give the paint a bit of protection that will be relatively low maintenance.

My first plan was to Iron-X, clay (Meguiar's blue clay with ONR as lube), then use Klasse AIO, Klasse HSG and finish with a wax (maybe Optimum Spray Wax or P21s).

Reading more, I thought to use Optimum Opti-Seal instead of Klasse HSG would work better because it would be easier to apply, last as long, wouldn't require wax on top, and could be used on the wheels as well. But what should I use between clay and the Opti-Seal? Is Klasse AIO still a good choice?

(I know about Opti-Coat, and I think I might use it in the future. But there are lots of swirl marks, scratches, etc and I think I need to do a lot of correction before using something that permanent.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: step between clay and opti-seal (or klasse)

Quote Originally Posted by yamad View Post
    I have been lurking here for a few days learning about how to properly wash and care for my car. The car is a few years old and I've mostly neglected washing and waxing, etc.

I'm trying to change that now, and I know how to do a proper two-bucket wash. I am also planning to aggressively clean the wheels which have a lot of baked-in brake dust (hopefully Iron-X and Meguiars APC+ will do the job). My question is what to do after washing to give the paint a bit of protection that will be relatively low maintenance.

My first plan was to Iron-X, clay (Meguiar's blue clay with ONR as lube), then use Klasse AIO, Klasse HSG and finish with a wax (maybe Optimum Spray Wax or P21s).

Reading more, I thought to use Optimum Opti-Seal instead of Klasse HSG would work better because it would be easier to apply, last as long, wouldn't require wax on top, and could be used on the wheels as well. But what should I use between clay and the Opti-Seal? Is Klasse AIO still a good choice?

(I know about Opti-Coat, and I think I might use it in the future. But there are lots of swirl marks, scratches, etc and I think I need to do a lot of correction before using something that permanent.)

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Once your done with any LSP then follow up after your washes with BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Polymer Spray or Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. This will ensure you the best protection and shine after every wash.
    AMG Classic Automotive Detailing 45 year's and still going at it!

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!!

This link will take you to some fabulous articles written by Mike Phillips.

Articles by Mike Phillips

Basic steps in order are:

• Wash
    • Clay
    • Paint Correction & Polish
    • Seal
    • Wax

Wheels

When dealing with neglected wheels give them a thorough cleaning with a quality wheel cleaner.

• Meguiar's Wheel Brightener
    • Poorboy's World Spray & Rinse
    • SONAX Wheel Cleaner

Once the heavy grime and dust is out of the way give the wheels a good spray with CarPro IronX, let sit, then scrub as directed..

Wash the car thoroughly with your favorite car wash.

While still wet spray with CarPro IronX. This will attack iron based particles stuck to the finish. This is an important step to decontaminate the finish prior to claying.

Clay the finish using the Meguiar's clay you mention. It's a great clay and does a beautiful job removing embedded particles prior to the next step.

Polish - Klasse All-in-One is a chemical cleaner and although it does a great job it has no correction capabilities.

Instead of using Klasse All-in-One, perhaps consider something like Sonus Swirl Buster Polish or comparable product.Combine Sonus Swirl Buster with an Orange or White foam pad and a dual action polisher and you won't believe how great it leaves the finish.. This will remove swirls, oxidation, and grime....

Seal - Optimum Opti-Seal is an easy to apply clear sealant. Although Klasse High Gloss Paint Sealant is a superb product it can be finicky to apply and remove easily. Optimum Opti-Seal being clear is so easy to apply and don't worry about hazing and buffing as there's no dust whatsoever..

Use two coats of sealant applied as directed and add a carnauba to add wetness and depth if so desired...

Sealants

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

KAIO is a great product - good cleaning, easy to use, and can be used on most everywhere of the exterior. You can definitely still use it as prep prior to Opti-Seal. I would still consider getting OCW - it takes as little time to use as a QD during your drying process, but it will add real protection.
    Francis

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Bobby G, thanks for the detailed answer.

I was trying to avoid doing any major correction for this first pass because I am still considering handing over the correction work to a pro. Can the Sonus polish be applied by hand? One advantage of the Klasse system for me was that it sounded like something that could be done by hand (without a requirement that I learn to use and invest in a DA polisher). It was my impression that compounding and polishing was a PITA without a machine, so I had so sort of given up on the idea of getting rid of all the swirls for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as opticote, being a total newbie i would recommend using it only because it works. And after reading these forums I want to wax my car but can't because the opticote will repel it. That is what is designed for but it isn't as glossy as a sealant or wax but it is VERY VERY useful if your clients don't like to take care of their car.

To Bobby G below is link to a kit I bought on Craigslist and I think I read u said there is no cut just wanted to verify if that applies to this kit. I was thinking of using it on a clients car that is pretty clean and just wanted to know for sure.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2221_125814131

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks to all the responses so far. I've realized that what I'm actually asking about is whether Optimum sells a specific cleanser/polish intended to come before OOS. It seems like many of the sealants/waxes have a dedicated cleanser/polish that comes before it (Ultima Paint Prep+ --> Ultima Paint Guard+). Of course, maybe I should just go with one of these predetermined systems and be done with it. It just seemed as though Opti-Seal was particularly well-reviewed.

From all your responses, it looks like the full-out detail session should be something like:

1) wash -- Optimum
    2) clay -- Meguiar's
    3) polish/cleanse -- ?
    4) seal -- Optimum Opti-Seal
    5) wax -- Optimum Spray Wax

Maintenance washes would be:

1) wash -- Optimum Car Wash or ONR or UWW+
    2) quick detailer -- Optimum Instant Detailer (or UWW+?)

(p.s. I'm not overly wedded to optimum, but it seemed like a good idea to stick with a system of products)

Post Thanks / Like

You can use Optimum Poli-Seal or Optimum GPS as your polish/pre-wax cleaner.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jminrod View Post
    To Bobby G below is link to a kit I bought on Craigslist and I think I read u said there is no cut just wanted to verify if that applies to this kit. I was thinking of using it on a clients car that is pretty clean and just wanted to know for sure.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2221_125814131
    Klasse makes a fantastic combination. Klasse All-in-One is a chemical cleaner that removes oxidation, grime, stains leaving the finish looking bright and radiant. Klasse All-in-One also leaves behind a sealant for added protection.

These products were developed over 30 years ago and will hold their own against anything they come up against when used together...

This is from the Klasse page on Autogeek - Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Auto Polish, Klasse All In One, klasse aio, Acrylic polish

Klasse All-in-One

Acrylic is the Solution. Unlike most car waxes or sealants, Klasse All In One is acrylic-based. Acrylic is different than wax, silicone's, and polymers. The Klasse All in one polish will bond to your car’s surface just like the previously mentioned treatments, but it will not cause any change to your paint, and you don’t have to worry about drying time. Klasse All In One dries as fast as you apply it, and there is no risk of hazing or streaking. Klasse All-In-One contains no abrasives or silicone's, and does not stain plastic, vinyl or rubber trim. It can be used on any non-porous surface, and in addition to car care it is also approved for marine and aviation use.

The Klasse kit you bought will impress you....and your client.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby G, thanks for the detailed answer.

I was trying to avoid doing any major correction for this first pass because I am still considering handing over the correction work to a pro. Can the Sonus polish be applied by hand? One advantage of the Klasse system for me was that it sounded like something that could be done by hand (without a requirement that I learn to use and invest in a DA polisher). It was my impression that compounding and polishing was a PITA without a machine, so I had so sort of given up on the idea of getting rid of all the swirls for now.
    Yes it can but correcting swirls by hand is a tough time consuming process and the consistency will vary much more than if performed with a machine..

If you choose not to go that route just skip this step...

Articles by Mike Phillips

Polishing Paint by Hand

Foam Applicator Pads at Autogeek.net

Priming your pad when working by hand

Removing Scratches By Hand

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

1-Step versus 3-Step Process by Hand

Man versus Machine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast