autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Im finishing with a ROTARY hologram free and I dont care what you say ;)

I have an article on MOL on the topic of waxes/sealants and filling, maybe someone can find it and post it as I'm on my iPhone.

Point being, any wax that works also fills. Same goes for sealants. At least to some level. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wow, so many random things come to mind here...Mike P. always recommends finishing with a DA to erase the holograms, and he's one of the most experienced rotary users out there, but there are some guys, who maybe were Mike P. in an earlier life and got a head start in this one, who just have mad skills and seemed to be able to finish out fine with a rotary, people like Todd Helme, Street Dreams/DSMS, and a blast from the past from another forum, Sean Busch.

Also the point about products filling without having fillers in them...I think both Mike Phillips and Todd Helme have discussed this at length in different places, some products have fillers on purpose, and some have filling properties as a result of lubricants that are there for a functional purpose to make the polish work better.

Truckbutt...you finished with Ultrafina/Ultrafine, which I think was one of those products that the lubricant had quite a filling effect...5 or 6 years ago it was all the rage but died out because it was "double-crossing" a lot of people...and I think I speak for the rest of the forum when I say...we'd like you to put your shirt on next time you take pictures....
    I should have mentioned that between the Ultrafina and the DG 105 I did a Klean Strip Prep All wipe down. I always do before sealing. No fillers. I think that announcing the death of Ultrfine is premature. It still has a very loyal following. After getting the results I got I understand why. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ultrafina.html.
    I'll take the fashion tip under advisement.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I have an article on MOL on the topic of waxes/sealants and filling, maybe someone can find it and post it as I'm on my iPhone.

I located my old article on MOL and re-wrote it so I wouldn't be plagiarizing myself,

Any wax, paint sealant or coating that works fills to some degree

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I was doing a dark blue acadia today. Same process as normal and it left holograms. I'm going to guess it had some to do with the product not breaking completely down. I was working on the front fender and it has many curves and edges.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the paint was softer?
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    Ok so I was doing a dark blue acadia today. Same process as normal and it left holograms. I'm going to guess it had some to do with the product not breaking completely down. I was working on the front fender and it has many curves and edges.
    I don't think I have ever been able to get D151 to finish hologram free with a rotary. I just worked on a bimmer a few weeks ago and used a rotary with a blue waffle pro pad for a few isolated scuffs and scratches thinking it would finish out nice with such a soft pad... Not so much. Rolled it out in the sun and checked the spots I did with the rotary... hologram city. I then finished out with a DA and the same pad and it worked out perfectly.

If I am not mistaken D151 is SMAT so it won't actually break down no matter how long it is worked. Because of this I think it would be extremely difficult to finish out hologram free with a rotary style tool and D151. Not saying impossible... just difficult.

With that being said... I love D151. It is a versatile product that works great for light correction and quick one-steps.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    One guy says one thing and the next guys says another. After using D-151 a few times, I say it has fillers in it but not near as many fillers as any 3M product or Mothers Machine Glaze.

Yes Mothers sucks, but 3m is another story. I haven't bought any 3m stuff from their latest lines, but 3m products except for hand glaze of course have much less fillers than any other line i know of, of course i'm just now trying the euro brands. 3m perfect it foam polishing pad glaze was THE standard for the last 15 years in the US. I'm just now trying to find a DA polish that is as good. Polishes are about having top notch chemical engineers and the expensive machines they need to make a consistant abrasives. 3M has consistantly delivered products of exceptional quality. But they are basically body shop oriented and none of their products are designed for a DA, so that sort of kills them to most of us on this forum, except perhaps for a full rotary correction on a van. The perfect it polish and finesse it are both outstanding. But since they have no oils or fillers, you dry them with the buffer. Totally different process than the Menzerna products i'm using lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a one step with d151 on my gf's 97 jeep grand cherokee (dark metallic green) with a rotary and orange pad, and was able to finish hologram free. It's been about 6 months and I still can not see any holograms in the bright sun. I was doing the jeep for a dealer (the reason I did a one step with the rotary) and she ended up buying it. Obviously it didn't come out swirl free but it really looked incredible compared to how it started out. Wish I would have taken pics.

I think it all just depends on the paint and so many other variables like temperature, cleanliness of the envirment and pads, angles and curves of the vehicles, etc.

I do think it's possible to finish hologram free with a rotary, but not on every car. I think Mike has also mentioned this somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShineTimeDetail View Post
    Haha ok, so I've been using megs D151 a lot lately ....I was at a car show last weekend and I realized I didn't even look at what cars they were, all I was looking for was swirls and holograms lol

So lets argue!

Ain't that the truth.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Ain't that the truth.
    Car shows are no fun anymore lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast