autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my detail - problems

Good morning all,

I took the plunge and had my 2006 Mercedes E500 detailed by a shop in chicago for $400.00 for the professional showroom new detail. The day I picked it up, it was overcast and the car looked amazing, but now after driving through a rainstorm and it sitting overnight,
    I pulled it out into direct sunlight and all I see are buff swirl marks...Now Im no expect but I would have assumed that a "Professional showroom new detail" would not have had swirl marks all over the car.
    I have contacted the shop and am going to see them today, hoping I can get this resolved or I need to have the swirl marks taken out by another shop.

Do I have any legal recourse for this?

They are registered with the Automotive detail society.

I just feel like I was taken for a ride.

Thanks in advance.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: my detail - problems

Wow. You paid $400 and they left swirl marks? Screw calling them. Go down there and Kick their a$$. I don't consider myself an amazing detailer but I make sure that no swirls are ever left on my customers cars. Also I charge half that price.

Post Thanks / Like

Being that you paid $400 for it I would definitely bring the car back and complain. They will most likely deny it and offer to fix it.How long did it take them to "detail" your car?
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like
    I would demand my money back and do it my self or take it to a real detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like another infamous case of the "pro detailer" who use a rotary buffer only, a compound and polish and probably a sealant all mixed on the wool pad to save time. Have pictures you can upload? Might be a real detailer on these forums who is near you who can fix it the right way.

Post Thanks / Like

The detail shop probably used a glaze all over the car to cover up the swirls
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Another story of a 'pro' who hacked up someones fine car! Ahhh, this stuff truly upsets me Dave. Sorry about your misfortune in finding this guy.

I would demand my money back and I wouldn't let them fix it. Why, because for $400 the car better be dang near perfect! This detailer mostly likely does this quick hack job all the time, as others have said, with a wool pad and then just slaps some glaze or wax on and calls it done - leaving all those swirls. This time he's be caught!

I would recommend you snap some photos of the paint, if you can. We all would like to see what your dealing with and it good to have them if you take the course of legal action.

Anyways, I live in the North of Chicago in the Fox Lake area. Let me know if you need any help! I'd be glad to help.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Give the car a good mineral spirits or alcohol wipedown to remove all of the fillers before taking it back. That'll blow their mind when they see the mess that they really left on the car. Unfortunately it's quite normal in 99% of the detail shops of the world to use a glaze with lots of fillers.

When a customer brings me a car painted with ceramiclear or other high solids clear coat for a true paint correction, I tell them that the paint compounding/polishing begins at around $500 and that's just a beginning estimate for paint work only, with no interior work. Any high end LSP such as Opti-Coat is xxx amount above the correction work.

Some may call me crazy for charging this much. I say you're crazy if your not.

If you're doing absolute correction work on super hard clear that has been neglected even a little, you'll be at it for a minimum of 30 hours. $500 divided by 30 hours = $16.7 an hour. If you're a professional detail shop owner/operator and you give Uncle Sam his cut and then pay all the other associated bills involved in running a shop, that leaves you about $5 to $7 per hour after all the expenses are paid.

How many of you shop owners can really afford to make this small amount per hour on a regular basis?

Absolute correction work is serving a totally different (custom) market than what the "A.D.S." detail shops are serving. You need to pay for what you are getting. Those who do absolute correction work are the 1 percenters, so you need to figure that 99% of the detail shops of the world can't provide the same service.

Detailers and their customers can both learn the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't agree more Dave, well put.

The OP said he paid "$400.00 for the professional showroom new detail". Don't know what that included, maybe Bambino68 can chim back when he gets a chance... after letting us know how the return trip to the 'detailer' went.
    Chris

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE...

I went back to the shop today, and was told that the paint sealer they used may not have taken to my paint because there was not enough paint on the car.
    This car has never been hit so why would there not be enough paint?

They said I could drop it off and they would rebuff it and re apply sealant and wax this time.

Here's photos of the car, if anyone can lend me some advice if I can fix this myself or if I should have them try it again?

I am just really let down as this was the "PREMIER" shop...

Thanks in advance.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my detail - problems-img_2645-jpg   my detail - problems-img_2646-jpg   my detail - problems-img_2647-jpg   my detail - problems-img_2648-jpg   my detail - problems-img_2649-jpg   my detail - problems-img_2650-jpg   my detail - problems-img_2651-jpg  

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast