autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

So the city i live in declined my business license.....

They said it falls under the home matainence and auto repair ban in our city. I have an appeal meeting in a few weeks to state my case.

I know some of the products i use other than Iron-X are safe for the enviroment. They are worried about where my water drains. I only plan on doing 4 vehicles per week.

If anyone is able to offer info or assitance to assits my efforts id be forever grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why in the world is there an auto repair ban?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So the city i live in declined my business license.....

read this thread, same types of issues, http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...laimation.html

You probably need to prove that you are not allowing waste water into drainage ditches.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you trying to do this at home ? Or a shop ?

Post Thanks / Like

In my town, fast food places like McD's, Burger King, etc... are effectively banned well before I moved here in 1998. An "adult entertainment" place exists blocks from my home in the town so that simply goes to show that governments don't tend to operate logically at times. Last year, we got an Arby's in town so times are changing I guess. Keep this in mind.

1- Get a copy of the law and statutes associated with the 2 services that are banned. You need to understand why this decision was made to reject your application.

2- If you have a chamber of commerce in your town, join it, make friends and participate in various efforts to improve the community.

3- Get representative statements and/or documents from each product manufacturer showing their products are safe for the environment. I would think (and hope) they have this documentation already since they would have to have permits to manufacture and/or sell their products to begin with.

4- Start documenting clear and concise statements you can present formally to the review board.

Now off on a tangent for a moment. Is it possible for you to register your business in a neighboring city where this ban does not exist?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a professional in the detail business. It sounds like you may have to have to get a water recovery system...or if you can find products for every stage of your process that are environmentally safe and give them the MSDS sheets for them. I'm sure once you get going they're not going be inspecting you...I would think they would have more important things to do...Just a thought

Post Thanks / Like
    I worked at a business that did auto repair (front end work, alignments, tires, etc...) - but we were not "zoned" to do anything with fluids like oil changes or similar. That was just how it was. Some places are just like that... No fluids because they are afraid they will drain into the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

one thing about small towns, where does the gutter water flow, if it is to a river or creek, that is their concern. If it evaporates into the air, the solids left behind will drain into clean water areas during the rain season. They are looking out for the future, they may alos have been sued for such liability in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is welcome to Alberta. Where they let people set up.quick lubes in mall parking lots but won't welcome many small businesses that don't need a hugh capital start up cost or that they can't tax you heavily from it. Just venting but seems to be the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

Now for the help. In my county it seems to move things thru faster if you hire a person that will present your case for you. Not sure why that is but seems to help. A member of my family had to keep going back to council a number of times to get approved to put a house on his farm land to live in to operate his farm. We finally got approved with people standing up for him and council asked if we would keep coming back until it was approved and we said yes then it was approved. So keep going back presenting your case in different ways until they get tired of you.
    Last edited by Kevin Cullen; 08-17-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: mis spell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast