autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Porter 7424XP or Foam cannon--OPINIONS!

I'm looking for something i'd like for my 4 year anniversary. I was originally looking at getting a foam cannon. Then I thought about getting a Porter cable 7424XP polisher. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but I really don't know which i'd like to get. I could use the Foam cannon every time I wash my car, but I would be able to apply AIO, glazes, waxes, etc. with the polisher more efficiently but it would only be used every few months probably. I've never used a polisher before, so i'd have a bit of a learning curve.

Which do you guys like more, and which would you recommend? I have a big feeling it will be the polisher since it has a wide variety of uses, but I figured i'd ask anyways.

Also, does the foam cannon really even help with bug guts that are stuck on the front? Mine seem to be etched into the paint although it's washed weekly and many times 2 to 3 times during the week.

Thanks.
    2012 black Mustang-Magnaflow axle-backs, Barton Short throw shifter and bracket, Airaid Cold Air Intake, American Muscle Tuner, Saleen bumper/grill combo, and HID's.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter 7424XP or Foam cannon--OPINIONS!

About the bug etching, like bird poop, you need to get that stuff off as soon as possible to minimize the chance of etching. You have the calculus right, foam cannon used weekly, polisher used 2-3-4 times a year. The foamer helps you with your wash process to minimize marring (although other ways to skin that cat), while the polisher is going to allow you to correct the marring you (probably) already have.

You have to decide.

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be the Griots 6" polisher. Once you have it you will ask how you got along with out. The foam cannon could be a birthday present.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    My suggestion would be the Griots 6" polisher. Once you have it you will ask how you got along with out. The foam cannon could be a birthday present.
    Haha i love the "birthday present" idea! I do not own a foam cannon but just got a PC recently and a DA polisher is my vote

Post Thanks / Like

The foam cannon will be a lot cheaper in the long run. If you get the PC/XP you will be wanting polishes, waxes, sealants, glazes, clay bars, pads, micro fibers, more polishes, waxes and sealants, $$$$$$$$$$. It looks like your car is BLACK? If so you need a polisher. Use the two bucket method to wash and polish that black to a mirror shine! just my $.02

+ 1 on the Griots!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    +1 on the GG6. I have used both and the Griots has much better feel and power.

-grungy-

Post Thanks / Like

The polisher...you can wash your car without a foam cannon...but you can't do paint correction and polishing without the polisher...well you can but I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    The polisher...you can wash your car without a foam cannon...but you can't do paint correction and polishing without the polisher...well you can but I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand...
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davet435 View Post
    the polisher...you can wash your car without a foam cannon...but you can't do paint correction and polishing without the polisher...well you can but i wouldn't recommend doing it by hand...
    +5000
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I agree with polisher first, I have both, and the foam cannon while fun, would not be very useful on a car that still needs a good polishing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast