autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle Detail

I was asked by 2 clients if I do motorcycles too, I said I haven't done one yet. Both said, well let me know when you want to do it. Holy crap, I have no idea how to detail a bike. Help!

(I know BobbyG can give me something...)

Sent from my DROID3 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Motorcycle Detail

I do bikes on a regular basis. If your just doing a typical wash, decon, and wax it's no big deal.

I normally spray the bike down with a good stream of water, then spray OPC or degreaser (or a foaming bike wash, S100 sells one) on all the grimey areas to let it dwell while I use my wash mitt, and various brushes to clean the rest of the bike. Then agitate the areas I sprayed with OPC. Then rinse well. Then I take the blower on my wet/dry vac, ensuring I have a clean filter in it, (I actually turn it on away from the bike and put my hand in front to ensure all loose debris in the hose is blown out prior to blowing towards the bike) and blow dry the bike.

Then everything else is just polishing metal, waxing, etc. If the motors have the black engine paint on them pick up some S100 Engine brightener, stuff works great.

I'm going to assume that these are harley's or similar models. Some small brushes and detailing sticks will come in very handy. If it's got lots of chrome expect to be there awhile polishing all of that.

Oh and pray they don't have spoked rims. Cause if they do your going to be there a long time just polishing those. If you have the mothers ball or cone for your drill it will come in very handy and make quicker work of the wheels.

You don't want to completely drench the battery areas either. If it gets a little wet it shouldn't be an issue.

And do not dress the tires! Maybe a given but you never know. I have been asked on multiple occasions to dress bike tires and I always refuse. Don't need them taking a corner a little too tight and dumping the bike because of some tire shine.