autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Beginner Assistance Please

Hey guys, I have been searching the forums for quite some time before deciding to post. I have already absorbed so much more knowledge than I ever thought possible when it comes to washing cars and I find myself learning much more day in and day out... Anyways, I have spent around $600 on this new hobby thus far (mainly the flex 3401) and I found myself wishing I had gone with this over that when speaking of products. Well it is time for me to put in another order and I was hoping for some advise on the products this time before I find myself reading a post two weeks later about this other great product...

Here we go...
    - Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor 15 ml
    - Duragloss 901 (Previous was P21S--I liked it but heard really good things about 901)
    - Duragloss Aquawax
    - Menzerna Power Finish 16oz
    - Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer 15 m
    - 3 Pack Cobra Miracle Towels, 16 x 24 inches

BTW, I drive a black Lexus IS250, probably a grade 3 paint in the scale.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beginner Assistance Please

DG 901 car wash and DG AW are two of my favs. I like the Menzerna, too. Can't comment on the other items because I haven't tried them.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerr2 View Post

Flex 3401
    - Menzerna Power Finish 16oz

BTW, I drive a black Lexus IS250, probably a grade 3 paint in the scale.

I've buffed out that same car and the paint reacted well to the Menzerna polishes, if I remember correctly I found the paint to scratch easily but buff hard.

The Power Finish is now called PF 2500 and it's a medium cut polish that will finish out to perfection on most paints using good foam pads and good technique.

Menzerna - New Names and Product Numbers

Try a polishing pad, not sure what you have but start by doing a test spot.

You could go to your DG LSP's after that...

How To Do a Test Spot
    (and why it's so important)

Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 CCS pads (Orange, Grey, Coarse Green, Gold, White.) I plan on trying the gold pad with my test spot and see how it looks from there. I watched the video where you polished the Lexus right before polishing my car for the first time this week, which helped a lot to say the least. Results were incredible compared to what I was used to with my old "methods" of washing the car and throwing on some wax....

I am going to go ahead and take advantage of this 20% off and place my order.

Thanks for the reply, its cool to get an answer from someone you've seen hours upon hours of footage on, especially on my first post...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get some tangerine hydrotech flat pads too

power finish worked well for me too. I used orange flat pads and did a one step
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to order that. I plan on using the orange pad that you recommended (did some research on it) and finish with a 100% carnauba from P21S, and trying out Blackfire sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need more than one pad of each color.
    At least three and better is 4. In the flat pads go 4 orange and 4 White. If Hydro tech go 4 Cyan and 4 Tangerine 5.5" pads
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I like the flat pads is that Power Finish is a DAT polish. That means it uses diminishing abrasives that need to be broken down to finish nicely on the paint. On Lexus' softer paint, this works extremely nicely.

CCS pad dimples are not the greatest for use with DAT polishes b/c product gets trapped in the dimples and you get some polish that doesn't break down at the same rate as the rest of it. Also harder to clean those dimples.

Not sure if 7/8 in or 1 1/4 inch thick is best for use on a Flex. I know that for a DA thinner is better but that may not be the case with a forced rotation DA like the Flex
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I you ever heard, dont judge a book by its cover, its like the same for car paint, Dont judge the automobile by its paint manufacturer. Lexus back then and now has changed. It might seem hard to work with (Hard paint), but could be easier to correct with different materials. I would also add m105 and 205 to your order and pick up ultimate compound the m105/205 is a great combo and can remove almost all paint defects and sanding marks.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

This might be a stupid question, BUT... do I need to buy a different backing plate to use a 5.5 pad? I know the ones that came with the Flex were 6.5? Also, I have used Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer on the hood, and it removed nearly all swirl marks from the paint. Would adding the M105 and 205 be too abrasive for my car's condition? Would those be good options to use on the one area that needs some attention, the rear bumper?

After searching I have seen some good reviews on the M105/205 products, which surprised me because of their low cost. If it gets the job done the same for less $$ then I am fine with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast