autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting into the business!

I would seriously suggest rethinking your "business". a field like detailing is built off the ability and mastering of detailing. To me it's a little scary that you are still looking for "classes" about detailing but are even considering spending any money on your "business" when considering starting a business detailing you should already know everything there is to know about detailing. That's just my opinion though..
    To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. " Steve Prefontaine.

Post Thanks / Like

Renny Doyle or Mike Phillips or both.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see where maybe i come off like a Rookie ... but the fact is i have been detailing on the side for over 14 yrs for many friends and people who see my work! I never did it full time because my family has been in the automotive business and my father was a dealer , my uncles, and my grandfather were dealers... so i spent most my life in the shadow of the car business untill they hung up there towels after 50 + yrs and i decided to stay on... but just to find out after dealing with cars for all this time im finally burned out, just not the same anymore! SO... i look at what i enjoy and i really enjoy the art of detailing!! The only reason why i want to go to a seminar is not to learn for the first time, its to take a pros advice and see the difference in what i do and make sure im doing the proper methods, its always nice to get a fresher up course! Being in car sale i would always go to training course like joe verde just to get a fresher up, thanks for everyone input.... I am actually thinking of starting off not so big..

Post Thanks / Like

Not a full-time pro here, but I have looked at Righlooks set-up and even called Steven and talked to them about their trailers. In my opinion you would come out far cheaper with the same result if you did it yourself. Were talking buy a trailer, have it wrapped, get a generator and a water tank. They are marking them up so much, yeah they are catchy to the eye but you could stash away so many products with the money left over. Also unless you are from there you will have to have it shipped or take a road trip. Shipping on a trailer to the east coast was going to cost me $1400 so make sure you factor that in. Good luck with your business!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are very correct, i think they are about $5000 to high in my opinion, im probably going to end up doing it like you said so i can put that extra money in supplies and advertising

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with mobile detail!!! DONT GO FULL TIME!!! Yes its cool to be your own boss and have your own company however its even cooler to have money!! People don't care what you show up in to get there car clean. I have a old red white and blue van that was an old furnace repair van from a popular company here. its not cool looking however at the end to the day its paid for ($700 CL) and their car looks awesome!!! People also don't care about your back ground. So DO get educated however don't go crazy and spend money on associations and their training to be certified. I believe we all should be certified however the public just does not care. Spend your money on good equipment and supplies. GET A DRY VAPOR STEAMER!! I got my supplies and tools for under $7000. Just my two cents! good luck and one last thing don't trust dealerships to have your back. They only want cheap and fast... just saying...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are targeting dealerships, you may want to consider products and techniques geared towards "Volume Detailing" like these guys...PrepExcellence Training

Most Dealers are not interested in paying for the quality of work most people in this forum do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12