autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clean wheels for short term plastidip

I am going to be plastidipping my wheels, which is a spray rubber coating, and want to get my wheels as clean as I can before I apply it. Can I use IPA as part of my cleaning process or should I stick to wheel cleaners? It is clearcoated aluminum.

My plan is to rinse->meguiars all wheel clear->rinse->2 bucket wash with tire brushes->rinse-> then I am not sure if I should use IPA or some other APC to get it as clean as possible, then rinse->dry-> spray plastidip

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clean wheels for short term plastidip

I did this with my winter wheels with pretty good results. I used iron x paste, then spray, wash, clay and eraser just before spraying.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming the wheels are clear coated, wash them thoroughly using a wheel cleaner, soap & water, CArPro IronX, and appropriate brushes. Once the wheels are clean and dry they should be ready for the coating you mention.

If you feel the need to step it up a notch try a product like Klean Strip Prep-All. This is available from most automotive stores and is designed to remove wax, sealants' oils, and grease.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Yea pretty much as long as its clean you'll be good.

Tip:

Get some index cards and put them between the tire and wheel lip. Plastidip sucks to pull off of rubber.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky
    http://www.facebook.com/BayStateDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Morphiusrt View Post
    Yea pretty much as long as its clean you'll be good.

Tip:

Get some index cards and put them between the tire and wheel lip. Plastidip sucks to pull off of rubber.
    The other way to get it off is to spray the wheel with all the coats and just peel it off, the lip then makes a clean break, I am going to be trying to spray without taking the tire off the car and using the garbage bag technique to mask off the brakes.

I will probably try and clean the wheel tonight and see if I need to order IronX before I continue.

Post Thanks / Like

I think all that is a little overboard personally. I just sprayed some type of cleaner at my dads shop that is diluted with water then wiped with paper towels and sprayed plasti dip. That was back around February or March I think, and they're still holding strong. I didn't use much plasti dip either. I believe I used less than 2 cans for all 4 wheels. I'm not sure if you can see my avatar picture, but I have the plasti dipped wheels there on my Mustang.
    2012 black Mustang-Magnaflow axle-backs, Barton Short throw shifter and bracket, Airaid Cold Air Intake, American Muscle Tuner, Saleen bumper/grill combo, and HID's.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I would recommend taking the wheels off, so you can get behind the wheel. If not then you will be spraying over the lug nuts and also can't get into the crevices behind the spokes which could look bad and potentially not give a good seal to the plasti dip.
    2012 black Mustang-Magnaflow axle-backs, Barton Short throw shifter and bracket, Airaid Cold Air Intake, American Muscle Tuner, Saleen bumper/grill combo, and HID's.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what are you guys using to clean your wheels once they've been dipped?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessMustang View Post
    Also I would recommend taking the wheels off, so you can get behind the wheel. If not then you will be spraying over the lug nuts and also can't get into the crevices behind the spokes which could look bad and potentially not give a good seal to the plasti dip.

I am going to tape off the lugs, worst case I just peel it all of and take the wheel off, tire cleaner should melt it off, though you probably are right that taking the wheel off is better, I just want to see if this method works.

Post Thanks / Like

To the post above about cleaning wheels, I just use a wheel/tire cleaner in a purple bottle from advance auto parts and scrub it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast