autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Alleged "Detailing" Shop = epic FAIL

Here's a story for you AGers. Knowing how most of you are geekers like me, you'll laugh and cringe at this story.

We went to a town about 90 miles away from us, to visit family. We drove Oprah (Odyssey) to get there, so we had both kids. Baby started to cry so I drove around the area to get him to sleep before dinner. Anyways, I see this BIGGGGGGGGG NEW "Detailing Shop". It had 10 or more wash bays, and a showroom floor in the middle. I thought to myself... I HAVE to check this out. LOL.

Baby started dozing, so I pulled in and told wifey "This will ONLY take a second.". I brought a flashlight with me just in case, but I thought, what better way to see what this shop can do than to check out their "Show" car, right?

I walk up to the car.... it was a gorgeous 65 Stang, flashlight in hand (my Brinkmann was at home of course). Turns out, the sunlight was ample light. I find SWIRLS, SWIRLS, and MORE SWIRLS. Within 30 seconds, I was out the door, before the shop people could say something to me. I shook my head all the way out the door.

I look at the signs and brochures on the way out. "Full Detailing, including wash, wax, interior, engine bay, etc.... and buffing if needed = $400".

I'm like WOW. Are people really this naive? I mean... maybe it's the owners themselves who don't REALLY KNOW HOW to detail... and think swirls are normal? Heck, they probably don't even know what swirls ARE. And it sickens me, that some people/customers walk in there, and think they do a GREAT job, and actually PAY them 400 bucks for this alleged "quality" work. Unbelievable.

Anyways, just had to share this story. Am still shocked. A SHOWroom vehicle to showcase their work..... an iconic pony, covered, no DRENCHED in swirls. Wow.
    Last edited by sportscarhiatus; 07-09-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alleged "Detailing" Shop = epic FAIL

SMH!!! I see it all the time man...but the thing is, people will pay the money at these shops rather than pay me that does it out of my garage. I guess they feel comfortable that you have an actual shop to do chitty work in....I dunno.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post

I'm like WOW. Are people really this naive? I mean... maybe it's the owners themselves who don't REALLY KNOW HOW to detail... and think swirls are normal?
    Sounds about right...

Heck, they probably don't even know what swirls ARE.
    They need to read this article,

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

For clarification...

This is a Squirrel

These are Swirls

And it sickens me, that some people/customers walk in there, and thing they do a GREAT job, and actually PAY them 400 bucks for this alleged "quality" work. Unbelievable.

Anyways, just had to share this story. Am still shocked. A SHOWroom vehicle to showcase their work..... an iconic pony, covered, no DRENCHED in swirls. Wow.

Thanks for sharing and I feel your pain...

When I wrote this article you can use the word detailer or detail shop in the place of the word dealership for the letters in the acronym DISO.

DISO = The Dealership Installed Swirl Option

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    SMH!!! I see it all the time man...but the thing is, people will pay the money at these shops rather than pay me that does it out of my garage. I guess they feel comfortable that you have an actual shop to do chitty work in....I dunno.
    Ain't that crazy? I mean... seriously, if I was single or retired, and didn't have kids, I WOULD LOVE to reopen my detailing business full time. But alas... I am limited to side detailing jobs only, but I do get the luxury of choosing which customers to work on But still... I want to open my shop again soooo bad. Show them how to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Sounds about right...

They need to read this article,

The difference between a swirl and squirrel

For clarification...

This is a Squirrel

These are Swirls

Mike P, I LOVE that squirrel and swirl pic. You have me cracking up. But yes, maybe that's what it takes though... to explain it to some people LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Might I add that, I had my DSLR kit in the Odyssey, for family pics, and I was honestly THINKING about taking pics of the car to show you guys. Although, I may have been kicked out or arrested if I did do that. Man, I wish you guys could have seen it. You would have thrown up in your mouths.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

Same thing near me.

I stopped in to see how a new detailing shop finished cars looked. In a word. Terrible. None of the swirls had been corrected and the car was a showcase of RIDS.

The shop was out of business in a little under a year. And they were very expensive.

I don't know who to feel sorrier for. The guy that poured his life savings into opening up a nice looking shop. Or the customers that paid him around $800.00 to have their cars turn out lousy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    Yep.

Same thing near me.

I stopped in to see how a new detailing shop finished cars looked. In a word. Terrible. None of the swirls had been corrected and the car was a showcase of RIDS.

The shop was out of business in a little under a year. And they were very expensive.

I don't know who to feel sorrier for. The guy that poured his life savings into opening up a nice looking shop. Or the customers that paid him around $800.00 to have their cars turn out lousy.
    Imagine a shop that STAYS in business, or worse, THRIVES despite doing $h*tty work. And naive customers continue to pay them to "succeed". Now THAT, would be a travesty.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a place like that here where I live. Crazy prices, hired help who are kids or people who don't know what they are doing. Using car wash brushes which are for sure putting swirls and then it roles through the "shredder" and is dressed up and hello they are $300+ richer for a crappy job. Amazes me how many people know nothing about true detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

most do not know what a proper high elite Autopian style detail is and are happy with shiny swirls lol...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craz0boy View Post
    We have a place like that here where I live. Crazy prices, hired help who are kids or people who don't know what they are doing. Using car wash brushes which are for sure putting swirls and then it roles through the "shredder" and is dressed up and hello they are $300+ richer for a crappy job. Amazes me how many people know nothing about true detailing.
    You remind me of something else I saw in the past. I was at the Honda dealership buying some parts for Oprah... then from my vantage point I could see their "detailing" bay. What do I see? Brand new vehicles being washed with a DECK BROOM BRUSH. Yes, I said it right. DECK BROOM BRUSH. Those hard, stiff, green bristles on a deck brush. They used it on the roof, the hood, everywhere. I think I heard nails on a chalkboard at that moment.

On the plus side, at least they washed from the top down like we're all taught to. LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast