autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Airplane detailing

I was wondering if there are any special considerations detailing airplanes? I read somewhere on the internet that there are certain areas you have to be careful when polishing the body of an aircraft. I expect the interior is treated like a typical car or boat.

As far as I know, nobody is doing aircraft detailing in my area (NE Indiana), or at least they're not advertising it. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airplane detailing

I personally cant say maybe some of the experienced aircraft detailers will chime in. I know B&B detailing does and Joe at Superior Shine are very experienced with aircraft. I would send them a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent suggestion A-train!

Great advice in this thread also...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-products.html
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft Detailing is a whole nother ball game man - First off.... the paint is very hard and has no clear (most aircraft anyhow). Second, yes there are areas that MUST be taped down for the protection of the aircraft and the crew! Pitot tubes should be taped and static ports should be taped, especially if waxing and/or polishing. Also, there are areas in the landing gear that are of the utmost importance..... especially the grease in certain areas (looks like it should be cleaned but shouldn't be). Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions at 615.967.8121 - better to be sure than to risk lives (sounds cliche, but it is true!)
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Being a Pilot myself, it makes aircraft detailing a lot easier as I know my way around aircraft.

B&B is absolutely right with regard to covering up pitot tubes, static ports and knowing what grease must be left alone etc.

also as he mentioned, aircraft paint is very hard so using the correct products will help a lot.

watch out for rivets, as the paint seems to be thinner on the them

keep in mind that the painted area on an aircraft can be 3 - 4 times (and more) than on a car so adjust your pricing correctly as you don't want to over work yourself.

a creeper is a good investment for when it comes to doing the underside of the fuselage, wings and tail plane etc.

Here is a thread I posted a while back of an aircraft I did. it might give you some ideas

Ravin 500 - Enhancement Detail

every aircraft is different so maybe for starting out, ask the owner/ pilot to walk you round and point out the things to stay away from

hope this helps
    Marc
    Performance Detail
    www.facebook.com/performancedetail1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Aircraft Detailing is a whole nother ball game man - First off.... the paint is very hard and has no clear (most aircraft anyhow). Second, yes there are areas that MUST be taped down for the protection of the aircraft and the crew! Pitot tubes should be taped and static ports should be taped, especially if waxing and/or polishing. Also, there are areas in the landing gear that are of the utmost importance..... especially the grease in certain areas (looks like it should be cleaned but shouldn't be). Feel free to contact me anytime if you have questions at 615.967.8121 - better to be sure than to risk lives (sounds cliche, but it is true!)
    Quote Originally Posted by M64 View Post
    Being a Pilot myself, it makes aircraft detailing a lot easier as I know my way around aircraft.

B&B is absolutely right with regard to covering up pitot tubes, static ports and knowing what grease must be left alone etc.

also as he mentioned, aircraft paint is very hard so using the correct products will help a lot.

watch out for rivets, as the paint seems to be thinner on the them

keep in mind that the painted area on an aircraft can be 3 - 4 times (and more) than on a car so adjust your pricing correctly as you don't want to over work yourself.

a creeper is a good investment for when it comes to doing the underside of the fuselage, wings and tail plane etc.

Here is a thread I posted a while back of an aircraft I did. it might give you some ideas

Ravin 500 - Enhancement Detail

every aircraft is different so maybe for starting out, ask the owner/ pilot to walk you round and point out the things to stay away from

hope this helps
    Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Do airplanes require a different approach or chemicals than what we use on cars? What type of mechanical polisher would you use? I've seen photos of drum-style polishers on long poles polishing large areas of jumbo jets. The "BuffPro" polisher comes to mind...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwgreen6 View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate the input.

Do airplanes require a different approach or chemicals than what we use on cars? What type of mechanical polisher would you use? I've seen photos of drum-style polishers on long poles polishing large areas of jumbo jets. The "BuffPro" polisher comes to mind...
    I've seen those and been interested in them more for RVs but have never used them. I have always used a rotary polisher and aircraft approved products. Many use auto products and have great results and there may be no difference, I always felt that using only aircraft approved products sounds great and covers your rear IMO.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used a DA and it worked fine however a rotary would be better. I use Car products (mostly Meguiars) on aircraft and supply the MSDS sheets if requested by the owner. Also some of Meguiars products are approved by Pilatus.
    Marc
    Performance Detail
    www.facebook.com/performancedetail1

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We use rotary to correct the finish and DAs only to apply the sealant. As stated the paint is hard. You will waste lots of time trying to correct with a DA on an airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    I didn't realize this thread is a year old already!

What about insurance? I know detailing cars you need liability and perhaps garaging insurance, but what about aircraft insurance? After all some planes may be worth more than some third-world country's GDP. I expect most aircraft are detailed at an airport thus super-anal Federal regulations must be considered, too.

One more question, how do you formulate the cost of detailing an aircraft? Thanks. -- Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast