autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

What to cover during a engine detail?

Hey guys. i just bought a used 04 Ford Ranger, I want to do a engine detail first before i paint correct the truck.

So... what do i need to cover prior to the detail?

1. Alternator?
    2. Spark Plug wires?

And i can pretty much hose down the engine bay and de grease it with megs apc right?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do clean my engine bay, I remove the battery and have only covered the alternator and in my older car, the distributor.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to cover during a engine detail?

You shouldn't have to cover anything unless:

1. It has a K&N cone style or other non-air box intake

2. You're using a pressure washer, in which case it is very important to not spray directly in the alternator plug (usually has a red rubber end where it meets the alternator) or any place where spark plugs connect like the top of the motor or distributor cap.

Inspect carefully to make sure there are no exposed wires in the engine harness and the fuse box covers are in place and secure.

Your motor is designed to see water to a certain degree, even though newer cars have lower engine covers to help with aerodynamics, it's fine if they get wet. A pressure washer, however, will FORCE water past low pressure seals and foul out connections if they aren't properly secured or otherwise exposed.

Trust your instincts. If you aren't comfortable with a certain component getting wet, cover it with a bag or tin foil. Always play it safe.

Post Thanks / Like

^ i agree with this.

adjustable spray bottles with various power clean dilutions (10:1, 3:1, 1:1), an adjustable spray bottle with water (that you might have to refill a few times) and a boar's hair brush are all that is typically needed, honestly. you can start the engine and then wipe with a MF for the areas that don't evaporate once you have fully mist-rinsed everything with the water sprayer. like RRD said, just avoid hammering potentially sensitive areas.

for a new car, ONR in 4x stronger that wash dilution in a spray bottle is what i use - i spray it on everything when cold, let it sit while misting on occasion, brush where needed and rinse off using the water sprayer.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I often suggest trying to clean-up the engine bay on a monthly schedule versus a much larger job later. Often times with a quick cleanup monthy you dont even need pressurized water.

I use a rinseless wash to wipe up under the hood. I use a water based (no silicone) dressing to shine plastics and rubber lines. I use Klasse AIO on painted surface to clean and protect.

Scott

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a used truck, the hood is just covered with dirt and the usual stuff.
    And on top of that the used dealer lot used some sort of oily dressing on the black plastics, (SUPER OILY)
    So im using APC and De-greaser to help dissolve the dirt.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm with everyone else on low flow water for engine details i use very little water and real low pressure let your apc and brushes do the work. i use megs apc 4:1 or amazing roll off both do a good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRageDetail View Post
    You shouldn't have to cover anything unless:

1. It has a K&N cone style or other non-air box intake

2. You're using a pressure washer, in which case it is very important to not spray directly in the alternator plug (usually has a red rubber end where it meets the alternator) or any place where spark plugs connect like the top of the motor or distributor cap.

Inspect carefully to make sure there are no exposed wires in the engine harness and the fuse box covers are in place and secure.

Your motor is designed to see water to a certain degree, even though newer cars have lower engine covers to help with aerodynamics, it's fine if they get wet. A pressure washer, however, will FORCE water past low pressure seals and foul out connections if they aren't properly secured or otherwise exposed.

Trust your instincts. If you aren't comfortable with a certain component getting wet, cover it with a bag or tin foil. Always play it safe.
    Good post.
    Modern cars are designed to sustain water spray, so it's not necessary to go overboard with covering things. I do cover the alternator with a bit of foil to avoid blowing water inside the vents. Work with a cool engine so you don't have any thermal shock to solid-state components.
    I work at a dealer and we use a simple process: Soak with cleaner, agitate, rinse with hose pressure only, blow dry, apply dressing where appropriate, then fire it up and let it run for a bit to evaporate any remaining moisture. If I'm doing one at home, I divide the job into sections so that my cleaner doesn't dry before the rinse.
    As usual, a bit of common sense is all you need to get the job done.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Also take a look at the cleaning product your using. Alot of times engine degreasers have directions to cover alternators, battery, ecu, and to be careful around connectors. This is because the degreasers can be slightly corrosive as well as flammable. When rinsing just be sure to spend a little extra time rinsing all the product off (if it's a degreaser). As far as I know, for most automotive APCs you really only have to cover the alternator, and just be careful not to jet water in the connectors or ecu.
    Most engine specific cleaning products are strong enough that a pressure washer should never be required. Pressure washers can do a number on connectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a article that will help if you haven't seen it already

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...fessional.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD