autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Repainted vs factory

I started correcting my sons paint on his 2008 Dodge Avenger. When we bought it used we knew it was in an accident but now that I'm doing a correction I can really tell where the new

paint is and where the original is. THE ORIGINAL IS CORRECTING SO NICE! The new (3 yrs old) is correcting with no swirls or scratches but doesn't look smooth. I plan on polishing in the

morning and I'm thinking it is what it is. I am an amateur with limited supplies, da PC some polishes and swirl removers. I have the wg twins and some wax. I clayed first and pulled a ton

of junk off. Another question...should I just pitch the clay? It seems so contaminated. It was new when I started. Hers a pic after the first panel.

Heres a pic after the first step of correction. It looks good but my phone photography stinks

Please let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Repainted vs factory

I would do what you can with what you have at the moment. I'm sure with the WG Twins it will make a difference.

With the clay, pull it apart and re mold it until there is a fresh side.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Post Thanks / Like

Clay is not cheap, next time keep a small container with soap and a toothbrush to clean the crud off before folding in a new section. Looks like your getting some nice gloss on that paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Clay is not cheap, next time keep a small container with soap and a toothbrush to clean the crud off before folding in a new section. Looks like your getting some nice gloss on that paint.
    Darn it you're right. I remember reading that about clay! To late now as I have folded it many times over. Thanks for the reminder.

Post Thanks / Like

Finished my son's car after about 9 hours of work. I clayed, applied the WG twins and WDGPS for my Lsp. I sealed the trim cleaned the windows....etc....When he sees he

doesn't act blown away by the scratchless slick paint or the whole package for that matter. He takes care of his car and is not unappreciative. Before he saw it I aske my wife

what she thought and she said" well, it's shiny, is that what your asking?" My question is are we (auto geekers) the only ones that see this transformation or maybe I need to

hone my skills so my efforts don't go un noticed?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Chet. Good reflection in the paint. Wives aren't the best ones to ask how the car looks when you're done! Mine sometimes doesn't notice for a day or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mitchell View Post
    Nice work Chet. Good reflection in the paint. Wives aren't the best ones to ask how the car looks when you're done! Mine sometimes doesn't notice for a day or two.

Thank you Paul Mitchell..True to about the wives. I clean my wife's every weekend and I sometimes hit it with Souveran (her car is red) and the car looks like its dripping with

melted red lipstick it's so glossy. Gets in her car rolls down the window "thanks for washing my car honey". Funny stuff. Good thing I do it mostly for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    Finished my son's car after about 9 hours of work. I clayed, applied the WG twins and WDGPS for my Lsp. I sealed the trim cleaned the windows....etc....When he sees he

doesn't act blown away by the scratchless slick paint or the whole package for that matter. He takes care of his car and is not unappreciative. Before he saw it I aske my wife

what she thought and she said" well, it's shiny, is that what your asking?" My question is are we (auto geekers) the only ones that see this transformation or maybe I need to

hone my skills so my efforts don't go un noticed?
    Hey Chet,

WOW, that car came out great!

The truth is many car owners are very satisfied running their car through a car wash and selecting the wax option for an additional $5.00. Others will take the time looking closer, noticing that their car looks surprisingly clean, bright and reflective.

I think many of the car wash aficionados would much prefer the higher quality detail but have never experienced this and might not even be aware that the service exists.

My neighbor fall into the lowest category of car owner..... "we need some rain so my car gets washed".....Cringe!!

When i park my truck at the train station many of the folks I park with routinely comment on its appearance and some even say how it really stands out among the others because is so clean and shinny....

Some will notice while others won't....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Chet. Good reflection in the paint.
    ^^^^^^^^

Chet: IMO...Best not to worry so much about your detailing being appreciated, or not.
    I've seen, and experienced, the same: "un-noticed-ness"---it happens in all walks of life (jobs/careers/hobbies).
    As long as one recognizes that they have put forth their best effort(s); doing the best to their abilities...
    That's when the 'inner satisfaction' will come for a: "Job Well Done"!!

Wives aren't the best ones to ask how the car looks when you're done! Mine sometimes doesn't notice for a day or two.
    When it comes to my Wife...I suppose I'm either lucky, or cursed. Her Father was a Concours judge while she was growing-up.
    She can spot a "flaw" a mile away, or so it seems.

Alas...My work is never done!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti