autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Which product to best seal restored headlights?

Hey there everybody! I have a question for you. I think this is the right forum for this (seemed like the best fit; there are so many).

I've been restoring every pair of oxidized headlights I can get my hands on, but my main concern has been sealing them against further UV damage. I know some amount of both road and UV damage is inevitable, but I'd like to have the risk at a minimum. I've seen headlights that had been restored but not really "treated" after the fact, and they looked as bad as they had before restoration.

What I've been using is Meguiar's Headlight Protectant, and am in the middle of a sort of test using my wife's Civic and my mother in law's Accord (both parked outside 100%). I restored them both at the same time and applied the first coat of Meg's Headlight Protectant right after. I've been cleaning and re-applying the protectant every week on the Civic, but I'll only be refreshing the Accord's once a month. I'll post monthly pictures in THIS thread.

So I'll get to see how effective that product is, but I'd still like to explore more. I don't really want to do the Spar-Urethane method for fear of the actual product yellowing.

Disregarding cost and focusing only on performance, longevity, and frequency of reapplication, how would you all rate these:

· Meguiar's Headlight Protectant
    · Meguiar's #21
    · Chemical Guy's Jetseal 109
    · Opti-Coat 2.0
    · Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor
    · Wolfgang Plastic Surface and Headlight Sealant

What's your opinion on these? Which do you think would last the longest? How often should they be reapplied? Any you'd add to the list?

Remember, cost is no issue right now.

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which product to best seal restored headlights?

OC 2.0 is going to be the only way to go. It's simply in a different (chemical) class than all the others you listed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    OC 2.0 is going to be the only way to go. It's simply in a different (chemical) class than all the others you listed.
    Thanks for the reply. I figured it would be since it's an actual semi-permanent barrier rather than a "sealant" that wears off after a month or so.

I'm assuming it offers a fair bit of UV protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhphoto View Post
    I'm assuming it offers a fair bit of UV protection?
    I don't know, but if you're not going to use the Spar or a real headlight coating or real clearcoat, then it's really your only option.

Post Thanks / Like

X-Pel headlight protection film. Yes it's $70 for the kit but Opticoat 2.0 is $60 /oz. and this film can be removed and a new one reapplied if/when it turns yellow. Much easier that re-abrading (wet sanding/polishing) Opticoat 2.0 if/when it fades/clouds/yellows.

Bottom line: Removal & re-application of film is easier than wet sanding/polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mhphoto;698376]Hey there everybody! I have a question for you. I think this is the right forum for this (seemed like the best fit; there are so many).

I've been restoring every pair of oxidized headlights I can get my hands on, but my main concern has been sealing them against further UV damage. I know some amount of both road and UV damage is inevitable, but I'd like to have the risk at a minimum. I've seen headlights that had been restored but not really "treated" after the fact, and they looked as bad as they had before restoration.

What I've been using is Meguiar's Headlight Protectant, and am in the middle of a sort of test using my wife's Civic and my mother in law's Accord (both parked outside 100%). I restored them both at the same time and applied the first coat of Meg's Headlight Protectant right after. I've been cleaning and re-applying the protectant every week on the Civic, but I'll only be refreshing the Accord's once a month. I'll post monthly pictures in THIS thread.

So I'll get to see how effective that product is, but I'd still like to explore more. I don't really want to do the Spar-Urethane method for fear of the actual product yellowing.

Disregarding cost and focusing only on performance, longevity, and frequency of reapplication, how would you all rate these:

· Meguiar's #21
    · Opti-Coat 2.0

What's your opinion on these? Which do you think would last the longest? How often should they be reapplied? Any you'd add to the list?

Thanks everyone

First of all, I have no experience with any of the coatings in your list, but I do have experience with what I would call pro products. These are the products professional headlight restorers use.

I think all these products can be put into 2 separate lists. List A is retail products for D.I.Y.ers. List B is commercial products for body shops, detailers, oil changers and headlight restorers.

It's not always easy to determine which list a product belungs to, but I'll give you some hints:

Commercial products
    Do not sell in small quantities and fairly expensive.
    Provide MSDS for each product
    Tell you what's in it more or less
    From major manufacturers, many repackaged
    Track record of use and references
    One shot, good for many months or years
    May require spraying, UV cure, etc.
    Listed ANSI tests it has passed (3 year Florida sun)

Retail products/DIY
    Vague on what's in it
    Vague on lifetime
    Mentions occasional re-application
    Available in small quantities
    Inexpensive
    Probably contains polish and/or wax

I don't know which list I would place homemade spar varnish/mineral spirits in, but since it's based on a consumer product (Minwax) I would use something better. High grade coatings are expensive because the ingredients are expensive.

If you are restoring headlights for money, the coating lifetime should be your number 1 concern. It's easy to make a bad headlight look good, not so easy to make it last without the right materials.

Coating costs should not be a concern. You might be able to coat with a homemade cocktail for .25, whereby a pro coating with a 2 year warranty might cost $1.00. That 75 cents is nothing compared to the missed opportunity of a satisfied customer (a free salesman) becoming an angry customer 6 months later.

Restoring headlights can be labor intensive, so your goal should be to use the right product/tool set to allow you to do pro restorations in the shortest time. Also consider that using pro products, you can give your customer a written guarantee, something your competition probably can't do.

The last thought is not to settle on any 1 product or procedure. Restorations vary in price and customer's expectations. Being able to do restorations at many levels make you more competitive and profitable.
    ray6

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mhphoto;698376]Hey there everybody! I have a question for you. I think this is the right forum for this (seemed like the best fit; there are so many).

· Meguiar's #21
    · Opti-Coat 2.0

Thanks everyone

First of all, I have no experience with any of the coatings in your list, but I do have experience with what I would call pro products. These are the products professional headlight restorers use.

I think all these products can be put into 2 separate lists. List A is retail products for D.I.Y.ers. List B is commercial products for body shops, detailers, oil changers and headlight restorers.

It's not always easy to determine which list a product belungs to, but I'll give you some hints:

Commercial products
    Listed ANSI tests it has passed (3 year Florida sun#

Retail products/DIY
    Vague on what's in it
    Vague on lifetime
    Inexpensive

I don't know which list I would place homemade spar varnish/mineral spirits in, but since it's based on a consumer product #Minwax) I would use something better. High grade coatings are expensive because the ingredients are expensive.

If you are restoring headlights for money, the coating lifetime should be your number 1 concern. It's easy to make a bad headlight look good, not so easy to make it last without the right materials.

Coating costs should not be a concern. You might be able to coat with a homemade cocktail for .25, whereby a pro coating with a 2 year warranty might cost $1.00. That 75 cents is nothing compared to the missed opportunity of a satisfied customer (a free salesman) becoming an angry customer 6 months later.

Restoring headlights can be labor intensive, so your goal should be to use the right product/tool set to allow you to do pro restorations in the shortest time. Also consider that using pro products, you can give your customer a written guarantee, something your competition probably can't do.

The last thought is not to settle on any 1 product or procedure. Restorations vary in price and customer's expectations. Being able to do restorations at many levels make you more competitive and profitable.
    ray6

Post Thanks / Like

Commercial products
    Listed ANSI tests it has passed (3 year Florida sun#

Retail products/DIY
    Vague on what's in it
    Vague on lifetime
    Inexpensive

I don't know which list I would place homemade spar varnish/mineral spirits in, but since it's based on a consumer product #Minwax) I would use something better. High grade coatings are expensive because the ingredients are expensive.

ray6

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, Ray. Heard you the first time… haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about that. Keep hitting the wrong button, or I'm old, or both.
    ray6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast