autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

a couple of OC/Detailing questions.

Is it ok to polish pillars and smaller areas with a pad thats a few inches too big for it as long as your not hitting any other areas of the car or have it taped off? Has anyone opticoated their windshield, does it help protect from rock chips?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: a couple of OC/Detailing questions.

Regarding the pillars...you will probably end up with some splatter, but other than that it shouldn't be an issue as long as you are careful with the edges.

On opti-coating the windshield...it would provide negligible protection for the your windshield and the wipers will eventually wear the coat down...leaving you with un-coated sections. I use opti-coat on all glass except the windshield. On the windshield I use Aquapel...
    '68 Chevy II Nova - Black
    '06 BMW 325xi - Graphite
    '11 BMW X5d - Vermilion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post

On opti-coating the windshield...it would provide negligible protection for the your windshield and the wipers will eventually wear the coat down...leaving you with un-coated sections. I use opti-coat on all glass except the windshield. On the windshield I use Aquapel...
    yep, opti-coat is susceptible to removal by abrasion, and wipers will provide that, eventually. however, i'm not entirely sure how bad of a thing that is, especially since most people get residual water spots in the areas where the wipers do NOT wipe. i, like you, am a fan of treating all glass with it, with the exception of the windshield, but am going to try it on the windscreen just to see what happens down the line, especially since i don't drive in the rain very often.

up to this point when i detail completely i just polish the windshield with poli-seal and a white pad to make sure all water spots are gone and use optimum instant detailer @ 4:1 for day to day windshield cleaning (aside from vehicle washing) on my personal vehicles. i can't stand anything (bugs, dirt, etc) on the windshield.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wallace03 View Post
    Is it ok to polish pillars and smaller areas with a pad thats a few inches too big for it as long as your not hitting any other areas of the car or have it taped off?
    I plan on doing my pillars also, and have heard Poorboy's Polish/Sealant is good for this. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?