autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: subi paint

Post Thanks / Like

subi paint

Anyone have experience working on 2005 Suburu Outbacks? My moms car is filthy. I took it upon myself to wash it. While preparing all my stuff, I decided I wanted to correct her car. Or atleast amp up the gloss. It is riddled with swirls.

I first had to get all the bugs and crap off. Sprayed the car off and washed it with dawn. Then let it soak in OPC, then tarminator. Used my pinnacle bug and tar pad to get rid of the rest. Then washed it again. Clayed it and then..

I first tried poliseal on orange speed 4.5 doing 5 passes and it did absolutely nothing to the paint. Hmmmm, not going to be as easy as I was hoping. I then put a new orange pad on and used optimum compound II. And it only corrected maybe half of the swirls. I then went over it two more times to finally get it to where it is in the pictures.

I decided to try another combo. Grabbed another orange pad and used ultimate compound. It didn't do much either. Used speed 5, around 20lbs of pressure, and 6 overlapping passes.

Either my technique is slipping over this paint is hard as a rock. Any tips? The most aggressive products I have is ultimate compound and optiumum compound II. I have a small sample of m105, but I do not like that product. I am using a GG with 5.5 LC pads.

The pictures dont capture what I see very well, but it is very swirled, with birdbomb etchings and straight line scratches.

Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: subi paint

What do you not like about 105?

Was going to be the first thing I suggested since UC didn't work that well.

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I use it is very hard to remove. I only have around 1.5 oz left though. Not enough to do the whole car.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish my subie paint was that tough. If i look at it sideways it causes swirls.

Sent via telepathy

Post Thanks / Like
    My paint seems hard as a rock, I abused it for the first 9 months with very little swirling. I also live on dirt roads so I washed it a lot. The wrong way. 2011 WRX.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    Every time I use it is very hard to remove. I only have around 1.5 oz left though. Not enough to do the whole car.
    Are you using an IPA mix?

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 04 Forester and I used 105/205 with a PCXP. Car was trashed when I started, came out looking great. That's all I have for compound so it's what I used. I didn't have any problems wiping it off, maybe try some QD when doing the wipedown.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gretsch308 View Post
    My paint seems hard as a rock, I abused it for the first 9 months with very little swirling. I also live on dirt roads so I washed it a lot. The wrong way. 2011 WRX.

What color is it? I thought I was doing a good job of washing it for a long time but since the white hides everything I was wrong. Under halogens I have a lot more swirls than I thought I had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRex View Post
    What color is it? I thought I was doing a good job of washing it for a long time but since the white hides everything I was wrong. Under halogens I have a lot more swirls than I thought I had.
    It's silver spark metallic.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest spending more time with the 105 and perfecting your technique with it.
    It will be well worth it.
    I initially had the same problem with 105 and the two main problems I had was..
    1) too much product on my pads
    2) not working the product long enough
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast