autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Preparing a new car paint

I am expecting my new car to arrive soon, what i am planning to do is to receive the car unprepared from the dealer, so basically i am planning to remove the all white wraps from the paint and prepare the exterior.

My question is will i find difficulty to remove the wraps on the paint and will it be sticky? Any particular technique to use?

I was thinking to follow the below steps, please recommend me if anything to be added or removed from the process.

Remove the wrap
    Wash the car
    Clay
    Paint cleaner( not sure if this step is needed)
    IPA
    Cquartz for protection

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preparing a new car paint

You'll probably find he will have to remove the wrap. Most require it from mfr...I know BMW requires all plastic off no matter what cust wants.

Cquartz too permanent for me.....blackfire total polish and seal then crystal seal for my new details...I do mostly brand new cars...
    Glen -

bmwgalore

If you really want CQuartz, I'd say give the car a good polish to bring out the gloss, like Menzerna SF4500 on a LC Black Flat pad... Followed by a good IPA wipedown and sun light inspection. That's my procedure when applying CQuartz, even on brand new cars.

Just because the car is brand new, doesn't mean it doesn't have swrils..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zadjali View Post
    I am expecting my new car to arrive soon, what i am planning to do is to receive the car unprepared from the dealer, so basically i am planning to remove the all white wraps from the paint and prepare the exterior.

My question is will i find difficulty to remove the wraps on the paint and will it be sticky? Any particular technique to use?

I was thinking to follow the below steps, please recommend me if anything to be added or removed from the process.

Remove the wrap
    Wash the car
    Clay
    Paint cleaner( not sure if this step is needed)
    IPA
    Cquartz for protection

Thank you
    I would highly suggest the following for a brand new car.

Wash
    Clay
    Correct
    eraser
    C-Quartz

A new car can be in terrible shape.Correct it at this point than sealing it with a good sealant is very important. If you have the paint in a state of perfection than that would be the time to apply a c-quartz application. Now if the car is not or you can not achieve a happy state than do not seal it unless you can deal with the imperfections for awhile.

With that being said even if you are not happy why not seal and at least protect from further damage.

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    You'll probably find he will have to remove the wrap. Most require it from mfr...I know BMW requires all plastic off no matter what cust wants.

Cquartz too permanent for me.....blackfire total polish and seal then crystal seal for my new details...I do mostly brand new cars...
    You can request for the plastic to not be removed until you are present. The dealer needs to do a few things to the car so no you can not drive off the lot with plastic. But it is best to highly emphasize on how much you do not want the plastic removed until you are present as well as you do not want the car washed. Not really to sure if I understand your logic. Of a coating being to permanent ? Could you please elaborate as I would like to understand a bit more. Especially with a new car. Its like refusing a extra layer of clear saying "na thats to permanent".

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought mine, I said specifically, if the plastics were removed or they washed the car at all, the deal is off. They'll listen then.

Post Thanks / Like

I like quartz or opti coat 4 wheels and things that I'm not going to pay particular attention to. But I like polymers more for paint. I just don't like sealing my paint with something that I have to polish or abraid off. Just me, but it's something that I don't like putting on because no matter what, it locks something in somewhere and I'd rather use polymers....I like stripping the car down 2x a year, re claying and then polymers.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

I might ask them only to remove the plastic if its required for the car to leave the dealer lot. I will try my best to let them to do the minimum job on the car to avoid creating swirls to the paint.

I will inspect the paint after the wash and clay and then i will decide if the paint requires to be polished.

The car will be more of a daily driver so i am looking for maximum paint protection thats the reasson why i am choosing Cquartz otherwise i have WFGS and DP Poli coat in hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressDetail View Post
    I would highly suggest the following for a brand new car.

Wash
    Clay
    Correct
    eraser
    C-Quartz

A new car can be in terrible shape.Correct it at this point than sealing it with a good sealant is very important. If you have the paint in a state of perfection than that would be the time to apply a c-quartz application. Now if the car is not or you can not achieve a happy state than do not seal it unless you can deal with the imperfections for awhile.

With that being said even if you are not happy why not seal and at least protect from further damage.

I will follow the exact steps to prepare the car. I hope the paint to be in good condition and just require light polishing.