autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried washing then drying each panel individually, the problem is, it's too hard not to re-wet (at least splash) the panel you just dried and I ended up giving up on doing that. Even keeping the car constantly wet I still get some water spots if it's sunny, especially on glass. I would like a CR Spotless, but the price is just to high fore to justify it, considering you always will have to but cartridges or resin. I'm looking into the other spot free system AG sells that has the smaller single or dual cartridge(s). This system it seems allows you to recharge the cartridges somewhat with salt. Even if I has to recharge them after every wash or two, it looks easy enough to do for a hobbyist. Anyone try this system? How is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My washing process - why do I get water spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Mc'lovin View Post

What do you think?
    I don't think that you have a problem, especially since qd removed spots.

I'm willing to bet that your taking upwards of an hour to wash after rinsing off the ONR.

Even if you flood with water and keep it wet as possible, you're trying to outrun the sun, and or temperatures during that hour or so before drying off.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never experienced water spots. Always use a filter and keeping the car cool and area you are working in cool is key. By doing a panel and drying it allowing it to heat up makes you more acceptable to having water spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressDetail View Post
    I have never experienced water spots.
    Never ?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone!
    Thank you so much for your comments, I will definitely try these tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Detail_Dude View Post
    I think perhaps the key is not to let a panel air dry - blot it with a towel right after rinsing on really hot days. Alternatively, keep re-wetting already washed sections while moving on to others, then dry at the end.

Did you spray the panel directly with V7 or did you spray the MF then wipe? If you hit the panel directly, are you certain the spots are from water and not left over/non-wiped V7?
    I'll try blotting after rinsing a panel next time. Thanks for the tip! When I use v7 I first mist a microfiber towel with it, then spray directly on the paint. I spread it with that towel and I buff off with a dry MF, so I'm pretty sure the spots were not a result of v7 residue.

Quote Originally Posted by craz0boy View Post
    ...Also drying immediately as soon as you rinse big plus instead of going back and re- wetting the vehicle over and over...
    I'm thinking the same thing, thanks!jj

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
    like its been stated, panel by panel is the best bet especially in hard water areas.

good luck
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressDetail View Post
    I have never experienced water spots. Always use a filter and keeping the car cool and area you are working in cool is key. By doing a panel and drying it allowing it to heat up makes you more acceptable to having water spots.
    I always work in the shade, however I'm guessing the temperature has its own contribution to this issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    ...There are several ways to dry a vehicle however I prefer an electric leaf blower. Leaf blowers provide a concentrated stream of clean high speed air literally blowing the beads of clean water from the finsh.
    I really would like to place my hands on a leaf blower, however the powerful ones here in Israel are quite pricey, plus there's a law here you can't use this device on public areas because of the noise it makes (although I don't think any of my neighbours will make a fuss about me using it for a couple of minutes once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.ganucheau View Post
    i like using the hybrid v7 when the car is still a little wet, kinda to help dry it an prevent water spots.... just my method
    I do the same thing, however I think that by the time I apply v7, the spots are already there..

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
    Stolen from BobbyG

1. Thoroughly wet car
    2. Wash the roof, front & back windows and side windows
    3. Thoroughly wet car
    4. Wash the entire nose and doors of the vehicle
    5. Thoroughly wet car
    6. Wash the trunk, rear quarters and back of the vehicle
    7. Thoroughly wet car
    8. Flood rinse
    9. Dry vehicle from the top down

Keep it wet.
    Thanks! However I'm not sure it's the most cost-effective method for me?

Quote Originally Posted by mleun481 View Post
    I do a final rinse with distilled water. I use about 3 gallons to do an SUV - then dry with a master blaster.
    It's a little bit complicated to get a hold of large amount of distilled water where I live... but thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    Perhaps a CrSpotless system would be a choice or at least a water system to pull out the minerals that are perhaps leaving the spots.
    Thanks Scott, I will keep this idea in mind

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I was I like everyone here start at the top and work my way down. It's no surprise that this method is preferable because something called gravity to comes into play.

Washing and rinsing panel by panel or a section at a time is the smart way to keep soap from drying on the finish requiring a rewash to remove. I can't remember the last time I washed the entire vehicle then rinse...

Water spots are the result of water evaporating leaving mineral deposits, dust, pollen, and anything else the water droplet attracted while in a fluid state...

In the shade with finish at air temperature.

1. Thoroughly wet car
    2. Wash the roof, front & back windows and side windows
    3. Rinse thoroughly
    4. Wash the entire nose and doors of the vehicle
    5. Rinse thoroughly
    6. Wash the trunk, rear quarters and back of the vehicle
    7. Rinse thoroughly
    8. Dry vehicle from the top down

There are several ways to dry a vehicle however I prefer an electric leaf blower. Leaf blowers provide a concentrated stream of clean high speed air literally blowing the beads of clean water from the finsh.

Cobra guzzles do a great job at drying the finish. They're soft and very absorbent. While I always use a leaf blower to dry the vehicle you'll always find a Guzzler towel over my shoulder for those spots I may have missed...
    Bobby posted this technique elsewhere. I tried this technique and have never looked back. It is a big time and work saver. Thanks Bobby!!
    Damon
    Naples, FL

Post Thanks / Like

As I said I never get water spots I am in on of the hottest and most humid areas of the United States. As you can see gound is wet and car wash rinsed for 2-7 min prior to applying foam.

Post Thanks / Like

1) Never wash in sun. Period.

2) You have to be quick at drying, spraying panel by panel with a detailing spray as you dry with several MF's.

3) I have my water softener in the basement plumbed to my outdoor hose faucet. I have relatively soft water as a result. It will still leave some minor spots if I don't dry it. It's just not as bad as regular hard water.

4) Any remaining hard-to-remove H20 spots can be removed with simple distilled white vinegar.
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12