autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Rinse before quick detailer?

I'm trying to figure out my best options for cleaning my car. I live in a condo where I can't work on the car or wash it in the parking lot at all. I can use my parents' house on occasion, but I don't want to wear out the welcome so I'm reserving that for when I want to do more than just wash.

I've been reading various articles about this and I think that what I would be trying to clean constitutes more than light dust (dust and pollen building up over a week, not sure about dew but I'd assume dew does get on there also). So can I do something like use the coin operated spray wand to rinse the dust off, dry, and then use a quick detailer? Or does there need to be soap involved?

We're on the verge of a drought in Illinois so the dust is collecting like crazy...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rinse before quick detailer?

Quote Originally Posted by jtk View Post
    I'm trying to figure out my best options for cleaning my car. I live in a condo where I can't work on the car or wash it in the parking lot at all. I can use my parents' house on occasion, but I don't want to wear out the welcome so I'm reserving that for when I want to do more than just wash.

I've been reading various articles about this and I think that what I would be trying to clean constitutes more than light dust (dust and pollen building up over a week, not sure about dew but I'd assume dew does get on there also). So can I do something like use the coin operated spray wand to rinse the dust off, dry, and then use a quick detailer? Or does there need to be soap involved?

We're on the verge of a drought in Illinois so the dust is collecting like crazy...
    you need to look NO further than the optimum polymer technologies line. if you don't have access to a hose, reserve the coin op wash for those times when the car is insanely dirty...rinse there, then take the car home and wash with no rinse, then dry.

optimum no rinse and opti-clean are all you need. no rinse is for the more intense grime. if it's bad enough, just pre-treat with a no rinse wash dilution in a spray bottle before you do the no rinse wash.

opti-clean can handle some pretty intense grime itself, but it's what an instant detailer always should have been. you'll be amazed at what it can actually get off of the car and NOT damage the finish in any capacity (when used correctly). you can literally wash the car without any water whatsoever. just make sure you have a bunch of clean, plush microfibers and use the quarter fold/flip method.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a lot of opinions that I have heard about instant detailers, but if it is a daily driver I would go ahead and rinse off with just water to remove as much
    dust as possible then follow up with the QD, but if you want to avoid micro scratches as much as possible, I would use ONR. It will still micro scratch but probably about 70-90% less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitiman View Post
    There is a lot of opinions that I have heard about instant detailers, but if it is a daily driver I would go ahead and rinse off with just water to remove as much
    dust as possible then follow up with the QD, but if you want to avoid micro scratches as much as possible, I would use ONR. It will still micro scratch but probably about 70-90% less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    have you tried opti-clean? if you use it properly it won't damage the finish at all. the polymer package it has is super buff!
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    What color is your car?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I will check those out.

Swanicyouth, the car is dark gray (graphite mica). It's a DD and I don't have a garage, so I know it's not going to be perfect forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a condo where car washing and waxing is prohibited as well, so I know where you're coming from. Try checking this out.
    Nomad 18 Volt Portable Power Cleaner, Nomad Cordless Power Cleaner, mini power cleaner, portable car wash, compact power washer

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    have you tried opti-clean? if you use it properly it won't damage the finish at all. the polymer package it has is super buff!
    No I have not tried it, will add to my to get list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtk View Post
    So can I do something like use the coin operated spray wand to rinse the dust off, dry, and then use a quick detailer? Or does there need to be soap involved?
    If you are going to do this, IMO you need to use the QD while drying, not after, you don't really want to be drying a wet, dirty car. A better option for your situation is to use a rinseless wash, like the aforementioned Opti-Clean, or Ultima Waterless Wash + is more cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    A better option for your situation is to use a rinseless wash, like the aforementioned Opti-Clean, or Ultima Waterless Wash + is more cost effective.
    Sheesh, did I type rinseless??? I meant waterless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast