autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CR Spotless Question

I have the big system I bought from Costco also. I finish with a rinse of this water but still do it in the garage out of the sun. In the sun if you wash with soap it will dry and leave residue behind either way. Its nice using this water as a final step then going to the leaf blower. It wont dry and leave spots anywhere so you dont have to rush to get all the water off the paint.

Not sure its all that necessary but I bought it and it seems to keep the paint cleaner and there are no more spots on my cars.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that I have found makes the CR canisters last a lot longer is using a pre filter filled with the same resin. It's about a fifth the size of the CR canisters and I replace it every other wash.
    Plus, the only thing I use my filtered water for is the final rinse. I am getting appx. 20+ washes on a set of CR resins.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to be getting a lot more on my resin. Either that or the PPM sensor doesnt work. It still reads 0 after about 12 uses so my local water must not be as bad as I thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. Also, I appreciate the links as well. I love my CR, since not having to dry the car properly I have cut off some detailing time
    "A swirl is a swirl no matter what way you look at it."

Post Thanks / Like

So I tested my CR yesterday and I was left with water spots using it in direct sunlight on black paint. I only did this to a front fender and a portion of the hood to test it.

I realized my flow of water might be too high so I slowed it down and tested again. This time I wouldnt say it spotted but it did leave behind some residue from the water spots. On the other hand the paint was super hot and after 10 mins of letting it sit just 1 wipe of the towel took them off. I would say this unit still needs to be used in a way that you have to wipe dry if used in direct light but in terms of water spotting its much better then straight water. If straight water were used I would have to clay bar to remove spots.

I guess this is one of those things that seems worth the money but its not very easy to see a huge difference. I still wash and dry the cars in the garage out of the light so I am not so sure it matters either with or with out the CR. I leaf blow the car dry then use my QD to shine up the paint when done.

How do you guys use the CR?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The reason they suggest draining it is so you don't get anything growing in there during storage.

Correct. Chuck at CR Spotless Water Filtrations Systems recommend draining the filter cartridges if you're not going to use the system for a at least a month to avoid having any algae grow which can hinder the performance of the filter media.

It's about standing water...

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way I can accurately check how hard my water is? I used one of those dipstick tests, but the results are a little vague. According to the dipstick test, my water is "soft" to just below hard.
    Also, if a set-up uses salt (NaCl) to replace calcium carbonate to make softer water, wouldnt the TDS be the same, just "saltier" with less calcium?
    Or, can the TDS meters actually show when resin needs to be replaced in these systems?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine came with a meter on it but it still reads 0. I think it's when it reads above 20 I am supposed to replace it. I am not sure it works because it still reads 0 after about 12 uses or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Is there a way I can accurately check how hard my water is? I used one of those dipstick tests, but the results are a little vague. According to the dipstick test, my water is "soft" to just below hard.
    Also, if a set-up uses salt (NaCl) to replace calcium carbonate to make softer water, wouldn't the TDS be the same, just "saltier" with less calcium?
    Or, can the TDS meters actually show when resin needs to be replaced in these systems?
    If you have a CR system with a meter just pop out the cartridges and run non filtered water through the system. Meter will read TDS of unfiltered water. Also a good way to double check if your meter is working correctly. Meter will also read 0.00 for about 90% of the resin's life then rapidly approach 20!

Post Thanks / Like

My water here in Central New Jersey only reads between 50-70 PPM'S, so I am good for between 600-1000 gallons of Spotless water!!!!

I've never had an issue with the CR leaving spots even in direct sunlight, so you might want to purge your system before using it.
    "A swirl is a swirl no matter what way you look at it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast