autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting a small side business!

Well I finished my toy hauler and I must say came out really good. Three friends already want their trailers done. I used a DA polisher and although it did the job it took too long. I want to get the dewalt 849x. But what pads do you guys recommend? For compounding I would like to go away from foam pads ( the heat in AZ over heats them) how many pads are needed for a 37ft trailer?? I'm using Meguiars marine compounds, anyone recommend something different? Thanks

Trailer before

Trailer after

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm starting a small side business!

Nice job Jo. That was surely a ton of work.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

I'm tired just looking at it!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Mike Phillips

Fist....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

On starting your own business... worst thing that could happen is it will be so successful that you'll have a new problem... what to do with the success.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    Well I finished my toy hauler and I must say came out really good. Three friends already want their trailers done. I used a DA polisher and although it did the job it took too long.
    DA Polishers offer a LOT of safety but the other side of the coin is speed.

I want to get the dewalt 849x. But what pads do you guys recommend? For compounding I would like to go away from foam pads ( the heat in AZ over heats them) how many pads are needed for a 37ft trailer??

If you're going to be buffing a lot of oxidized gel-coats then you want an aggressive wool cutting pad and a pad cleaner and a spur.

I'm using Meguiars marine compounds, anyone recommend something different? Thanks
    I'm pretty sure the newest Marine Compounds are SMAT products and if true that's going to be a real blessing and advantage as far as having to clean up any remaining swirls afterwards.

The most important thing is to clean your pad OFTEN as you're going to have a LOT of dead oxidized gel-coat, or polyester resins with pigment loading up on your pad plus spent compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! I figure about 80-90hrs for my toy hauler. But I removed all decals, removed all silicone around windows etc. replaced plastic parts around the whole trailer. I figure I can be a ton faster with the Rotary.

What wool pad is a good pad? My toy hauler was done with Meg's #67 one step(mike tell nick to get some in stock!!) and with just that step I got theses results. LSP was FK1000p. Do I need a pad washer right away?? For the first couple jobs all the profit will be dumped back in so I really only want to buy stuff I really need. Rotary etc. It it worth saying with this two step system I had or go with a three step?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing