autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum spray wax over Liquid Souveran wax

I'm about to order my first bottle of ONR and Optimum Spray wax. But I was wondering if its ok to use the spray wax right after the ONR when I recently (about last week) coated my car with Pinnacle Liquid Souveran wax. Will the spray wax work well with the current coat of wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum spray wax over Liquid Souveran wax

I've used OCW on a vehicle with 180 as previous lsp with great results. Have no clue about liq. souveran.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

It will be fine. Usually only need to worry about decent curing time when using a detailer like Dodo Juice Red Mist as the solvents will degrade existing wax if not cured long enough. The polymers ONR will never cause bonding issues and can even be painted over.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've put Optimum Wax on on P21S, Dodo, Opti Coat, Liq Sovereign, etc... You won't have a problem. However, the one thing I find with OCW is its slightly tricky on dark or black cars. You need 2 thick MF towels: one to spread it out and buff it, and one for a final buff. Also, on my car it "sweats" sometimes and may need a quick buff later. This is on a black, shiny car that I'm very picky about. That using it on top of another wax, basically not how it was intended to be used.
    .... That being said OCW is an awesome, amazing product. It's worth 4x the price. It looks awesome and a bottle lasts a long time. It's easy to use and a coat lasts a long time. It may just require another moment of work on a dark car.

Mike Phillips

Actually, regardless of any bonding issues, (if any?), the major benefit to the Optimum Car Wax is its UV inhibitors and you want these to come into direct contact with the paint so they can bond to it and according to Optimum, migrate into the paint, at least to some level.

I'm a big fan of OCW for the above reasons and because in my job and in my life I deal with a lot of people that own cars that suffer from Clear Coat Failure.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive

Beginning Clearcoat Failure

Photos Courtesy of MeguiarsOnline

IF your car is always parked outside because either you don't have a garage or carport to shield it from the sun or because a more important vehicle is in the garage or carport then you want the OCW "on" the paint, not on a coating on the paint.

I'm the last guy to get into the entire topic of "bonding" except what I wrote in this article,

Miscible and Immiscible - Wax and Paint Sealant Bonding

But the effects of UV rays on everything, including you and I are real and for this reason if you're going to use OCW then get it onto the paint, not onto a coating on the paint.

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

OCW looks pretty promising. I have really stupid question on the UV protection, I thought all waxes and sealants had UV protection.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbull2984 View Post
    OCW looks pretty promising. I have really stupid question on the UV protection, I thought all waxes and sealants had UV protection.
    I'm sure many do, at least those that state they do. The thing I like is Dr. David Ghodoussi is a real chemist that worked on creating the actual clear paint on your car. If he's smart enough to make the paint, seems like he's more than qualified to make the wax that goes on the paint. In fact I believe this enough that when asked to write his TV commercial I said something similar in the commercial.

Optimum Polymer Technologies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbull2984 View Post
    How much UV protection do you really need from a sacrificial layer? I believe some clearcoats have UV protection these days. My suggestion, don't over-analyze this piece of the detailing pie.

I do look for UV protection in a sealant. As the car ages (5+ years) I would be more selective about the products I put on my paint (more UV protection is likely required). Also, if I was not maintaining a vehicle on a regular basis, UV protection trends towards "mandatory" if paint protection is a priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    It will be fine. Usually only need to worry about decent curing time when using a detailer like Dodo Juice Red Mist as the solvents will degrade existing wax if not cured long enough. The polymers ONR will never cause bonding issues and can even be painted over.

Very interesting.
    I just used the Dodo Juice Mist and it stripped off my carnuba and any remaining glaze and I was left with a shiny surface but all of the minor imperfections and scratches seemed to magically re-appear.
    2013 Infinity JX35 White Pearl, 2009 BMW 528XI White
    1969 Primrose Yellow 4.2 XKE
    2002 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 7.3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Actually, regardless of any bonding issues, (if any?), the major benefit to the Optimum Car Wax is its UV inhibitors and you want these to come into direct contact with the paint so they can bond to it and according to Optimum, migrate into the paint, at least to some level.

IF your car is always parked outside because either you don't have a garage or carport to shield it from the sun or because a more important vehicle is in the garage or carport then you want the OCW "on" the paint, not on a coating on the paint.

But the effects of UV rays on everything, including you and I are real and for this reason if you're going to use OCW then get it onto the paint, not onto a coating on the paint.

Make sense?

Just when I thought I had researched and had most of my questions answered.
    I've read about the migration of OCW/OOS but not concerning the coating... Oh well, another trip to the Optimum forums.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast