autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Filler in my Wax?

Ok, so I read Mike P. tell us that an AIO is the same as a cleaner wax. From my understanding, this is a wax that has some mild abrasives or chemical cleaners to improve any surface defects, which at the same time puts down a sacrificial layer or protection. What I'm wondering is this the same as a wax with "fillers" that are able to mask some defects. I'm fairly sure waxes such as P21S 100% PC, Sovereign, Dodo Supernatural, and Fuzion are waxes without "fillers", I mean, the don't hide swirls and scratches. Is this correct? So, is there a 3rd class wax, one that's not a cleaner/AIO or is not a "pure" wax (with no hiding ability)? This 3rd class would be waxes that don't (or do) have cleaners/mild abrasives - but have "fillers" to "mask" any defects. Do some AIO/cleaner waxes have the ability to mask(but not correct) defects? Does anyone know any waxes that would fall into this category with "filling" or masking abilities that are AIO/cleaner waxes or not??? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Filler in my Wax?

Sounds like the vast majority of otc "waxes" on the shelves of retailers nationwide.
    Last edited by Vegas Transplant; 05-29-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    So cheaper OTC wax have fillers? Is there any role for these in a high quality wax?

Post Thanks / Like

I think all waxes have some filling ability: some very little, some more (but, of course, nowhere near a glaze). I think liquid waxes carry the highest content of fillers.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess, the reason the higher quality waxes do not have fillers is because they are more often than not, used by people who understand the process to properly prepare their paint for their use, and quite possibly could be an added component that might take away from the performance and look of the wax itself. People who do not understand this process and just want their car to look good are often the people who purchase otc products, and therefore fillers help them get good results with high ease of use. For instance, a former co worker of mine waxes his car with megs cleaner wax several times a week using nasty rags. His car is full of swirls, but is overall very shiny and beads water very well. He gets the results he likes with a product that is easy to use and inexpensive.

There are some glazes that also contain waxes (fill and protect). To answer your question, I guess the answer would be yes. Some waxes might contain fillers (or at least make the claim they can hide defects such as Megs NXT) without containing any cleaners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    Sounds like the vast majority of otc "waxes" on the shelves of retailers nationwide.
    Notice the quotation marks around waxes.
    Not all waxes are wax, some are hybids, some are sealants, and so on.

I can't say with certainty that high end waxes contain filler, but my uneducated guess for high end waxes would be no. Nor could I say the same for waxes like 180 or maxwax or any other wax in that price range.

Just rambling hand, past my bedtime.
    Happy detailing...
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!