autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Compounded/Polished with Optimum products

Awsome stuff. I couldn't find a bottle that worked right for mixing the products together, so I compounded with OC 1st with a little OP added to the pad, then finished up with OP. Optimum Polish was perfect, not chucky like I kept hearing everyone say. It came out pretty smooth and didn't get clogged up. 1st time using the PCDA, and all I heard as well were these products are hard to use and work in. I actually thought it was pretty easy, no harder then what I've seen others do for other polishes/compounds. Swirls are gone, scratches are gone etc. After using the Optimum stuff I was really shocked at how good the paint looked, it was reflective and smooth, looked basically like I had it before (just using NXT).

I'll have pics by the end of this week. Going to put another layer of EX-P on and then a little OCW, and finally topped with Natty's Blue. I talked to a few other guys with white and they found this combo to really give white a nice watery/depth but still very relective.

My body is killing me, suv's take a while lol. Using PC at 6K rpm for two days, I can barely shake hands today
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-15-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Surfer you gave up on the AIO? By the way my truck came out real nice after about four hours on Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan
    Surfer you gave up on the AIO? By the way my truck came out real nice after about four hours on Saturday.
    LOL, I was so confused, it would have been doing like a one-step product 3 times lol. I'm sure it came out nice, didn't you just sit back and le thte boys detail it

Actually I used a little AIO after polishing. Gave it a quick layer of EX-P yesterday, going to try to do another layer today and it looks like it just started raining (was beautiful earlier) and today I'm parked on the top of the garage that's not covered

How thin is the EX-P layer supposed to be, I tried a damp microfiber pad and it seemed to absorb too much liquid. Then tried a damp foam pad and same thing, but I would spready it and it would look like it was missing spots and I'd have to keep circling to get them? Am I not supposed to see the produc going on, or watch for a little film, hazing etc? I also buffed it off almost immedietley, should I let it haze for a while 1st?
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-15-2006 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    LOL, I was so confused, it would have been doing like a one-step product 3 times lol. I'm sure it came out nice, didn't you just sit back and le thte boys detail it .....
    How thin is the EX-P layer supposed to be, I tried a damp microfiber pad and it seemed to absorb too much liquid. Then tried a damp foam pad and same thing, but I would spready it and it would look like it was missing spots and I'd have to keep circling to get them? Am I not supposed to see the produc going on, or watch for a little film, hazing etc? I also buffed it off almost immedietley, should I let it haze for a while 1st?
    Yes I watched Neothin work his magic, but I did do most of the XMT work with the PC7424, he was busy making my tires shine.
    As for you EX-P I will have Jason help you out with that one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks.

Did you move the thread and play a trick on me ?? I swear, the thread disappeared after you posted, even checking new post and the detailing forum it wasn't there. Checked my confirmation email and it kept taking em to the leather thread lol. Now, looks like the threads back...weird lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer
    Cool, thanks.

Did you move the thread and play a trick on me ?? I swear, the thread disappeared after you posted, even checking new post and the detailing forum it wasn't there. Checked my confirmation email and it kept taking em to the leather thread lol. Now, looks like the threads back...weird lol.
    Just messing with your mind surfer!!! J/K

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Optimum polishes are some of the best offered. That said they have a learning curve because they are so damn thick and they last several minutes longer than a standard polish.

(j.k -- sounds like the man most want to be, nevermind)

And one of the primary reasons I dont use EX-P is it is also quite thick and hard to apply thin. And as with most sealants, the thinner the easier to remove. Its a great look ... but it needs to take on a thinner appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    I agree that Optimum polishes are some of the best offered. That said they have a learning curve because they are so damn thick and they last several minutes longer than a standard polish.

(j.k -- sounds like the man most want to be, nevermind)

And one of the primary reasons I dont use EX-P is it is also quite thick and hard to apply thin. And as with most sealants, the thinner the easier to remove. Its a great look ... but it needs to take on a thinner appearance.
    See that's what worried me and kinda had me doubting if I chose the right products (Optimum) after reading a lot of stuff on other sites, how hard it is to use, doesn't work well etc. All I gotta say is that was my 1st time using a PCDA, and I had no trouble whatsoever with OP or OC. It was pretty easy and took out deep scratches and swirls. Plus, the OP was perfect, not chunky and thick like I kept hearing everyone say. Maybe they changed formulas? But I really liked how you could keep working it without worrying about it drying up all of a sudden like I've seen on others, little amount goes a long way.

I didn't get to put another coat of EX-P on today, wasn't feeling well and it started storming. But damn, that thin coat I had on beaded like crazy, I found myself speeding home on A1A hunched over watching the water fly off the hood like a leaf blower was blowing lol. That reminds me, think some of my neighbors must think I'm crazy after seeing em out with an electric blower the other day to dry the car, plus I got some really weird looks from some landscaping guys doing work LOL.

For OP/OC. I used OC and yellow cutting pad on the hood, OC and Orange on the rest of the truck, and spot buffed certain areas with OC and 4" orange that Aaron at Edge custom made for me (to clip into the adapter). Then went over the truck with orange pad and OP, then finally OP with blue pad. I love that Edge 2K kit.
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-16-2006 at 12:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboys EXP-

If applying with a pc then don't dampen the pad, it's not needed. It will absorb into a foam pad a bit but it can be pull out by a little pressure when applying. Yes sometimes it does look like you miss a spot but that's ok because that means you got it real thin which is good. It should be left for 30-90 minutes to haze and a good test is the ease of removal. If it grabs at the cloth, then it's not dry enough yet.

Remeber the humidity will affect drying times too.

steve
    Poorboys
    "The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    Poorboys EXP-

If applying with a pc then don't dampen the pad, it's not needed. It will absorb into a foam pad a bit but it can be pull out by a little pressure when applying. Yes sometimes it does look like you miss a spot but that's ok because that means you got it real thin which is good. It should be left for 30-90 minutes to haze and a good test is the ease of removal. If it grabs at the cloth, then it's not dry enough yet.

Remeber the humidity will affect drying times too.

steve
    Poorboys
    , I'll be sure to let it sit longer before buffing. Fricken rain right now, our pool is ready to overflow. Salt water pool, probably diluted like hell now after the rain lol.

Do you know if Optimum changed forumlas? My bottle of OP was great, nice and liquidy and didn't clogg up or anything. What I'm really suprised about is how OC even on a yellow cutting pad barely left any hazing and finished up pretty good (still went over with OP). I have an awsome shot of the truck in the garage right after polishing, you can see a nice relection of my sisters truck all the way at the end of the driveway, palm tress etc. NXT didn't even reflect like that
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-16-2006 at 12:36 PM.