autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UGG...Curbed my GTI wheel please help

Any help would be great. I curbed my GTI wheel yesterday. I'm sure I don't have everything, but this is what materials I do have on hand. PC 7424, 120 grit sp, 220 grit sp, steel wheel 00 and 0000, mothers chrome polish, dodo lite prime cleaner, red, orange, white and blue LC pads, chrome spray paint and also valspar clear coat. I'm not looking for it to be perfect but let me know what steps to take.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UGG...Curbed my GTI wheel please help-wheel2-jpg   UGG...Curbed my GTI wheel please help-wheel1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UGG...Curbed my GTI wheel please help

Those pictures are not nearly high enough resolution to show just how bad the damage is. The first photo....doesn't look good.

Can you post some higher quality pictures?

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like

I just pm'd you Tim.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a post going too for curb rash. Anyone have any ideas?
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

for some reason I cant blow the pictures up to make it any more clear. Basically I taped it off and sanded it down with 120 then 220 sand paper with my pc 7424 (as seen in second picture). The surface is very smooth but now it doesn't have the mirror type finish, although it does look better. Any suggestions on how to get the mirror look and shine back now that its smooth and hopefully with some of the stuff I listed above

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lucky472 View Post
    for some reason I cant blow the pictures up to make it any more clear. Basically I taped it off and sanded it down with 120 then 220 sand paper with my pc 7424 (as seen in second picture). The surface is very smooth but now it doesn't have the mirror type finish, although it does look better. Any suggestions on how to get the mirror look and shine back now that its smooth and hopefully with some of the stuff I listed above

Re-sand with #2000 grit paper, followed by higher if you have it, then you need to rub the aluminum smooth either by hand or machine. A rotary buffer with a wool pad is going to work better than a PC.

Heck your hand with a piece of terry cloth and a series of aluminum compounds will work too with a little elbow grease.

I think you're finishing out with to coarse of a sand paper to get a smooth, shiny appearance.

Flitz ScuffPads work well to...

Flitz ScuffPads
    The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is made of resin-coated non-woven abrasives in cut fiber strands. The flexible, durable sanding pads are perfect for contoured surfaces. Use the pads wet or dry.

The Flitz Mini ScuffPad is the equivalent to 1500 grit sandpaper. On scratched headlight lenses, plastics, wood, composite, and metal, the Mini ScuffPad sands down the scratched surface to create a more uniform surface. When you begin polishing, the entire surface is being leveled at the same rate. The results are uniform and smooth.

Flitz Mini ScuffPads 6 Pack, 1500 Grit

Might look into these too...

The Flitz Super Mini Bff Ball is a smaller version of the original Flitz buffing/polishing ball. Polish metal, plastic, and paint.

Flitz Mini Buff Ball 3 inch diameter

Flitz Mag Wheel Restoration Kit, wheel polishing kit, chrome polishing kit, flitz wheel polish

Post Thanks / Like

Here's where I'm at now. I used a 120, 320, 1000 then 2000 grit sand paper. I then used Mothers aluminum polish. Oddly enough now the repaired section looks like a mirror and better then the rest. I'm not complaining since I only have about $20 bucks invested. Not sure what to do now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UGG...Curbed my GTI wheel please help-wheel4-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Here's where I'm at now. I used a 120, 320, 1000 then 2000 grit sand paper. I then used Mothers aluminum polish. Oddly enough now the repaired section looks like a mirror and better then the rest. I'm not complaining since I only have about $20 bucks invested. Not sure what to do now.
    Looks good!! I would do the rest of the wheel now. Wouldn't want to have one shiny spot.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

bmwgalore

Oddly enough now the repaired section looks like a mirror and better then the rest. Not sure what to do now.
    Now you do the entire wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is that my wheels are machined. If I polished one wheel then I'm going to need to do all 4. I think it might look good, but I want to keep this as easy as possible. Is there an easy way to give it a machined look? I'm only trying to do the 8" by 2" section that is now polished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast