autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: SEMI Truck

Post Thanks / Like

SEMI Truck

Hey guys,

I had a guy call me yesterday about detailing his truck. long story short he hired a guy to polish out his AL fenders and tank and he F'd them up. Below are pictures he sent me. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow in person. What do you guys suggest doing?

Here are my thoughts. Since AL will oxidize without a coating i need something that will bond to it and last. I have Opti guard, will that work?

If I wet sand these parts and polish i now have exposed the AL. Typically these pieces have been anodized to protect AL.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advise they can give me if i take this job on?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SEMI Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Hondaforlife954 View Post
    Hey guys,

I had a guy call me yesterday about detailing his truck. long story short he hired a guy to polish out his AL fenders and tank and he F'd them up. Below are pictures he sent me. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow in person. What do you guys suggest doing?
    This is a really big job for inexperienced hands. Sure, one can bring about a decent shine. But to get mirror like finish requires professional tools and product.

Here are my thoughts. Since AL will oxidize without a coating i need something that will bond to it and last. I have Opti guard, will that work? No.

If I wet sand these parts and polish i now have exposed the AL. Typically these pieces have been anodized to protect AL.First of all, there is no anodized al. in these pictures. Secondly,from my experience and viewing these pics, they do not need to be sanded, much less wet sanded to bring back mirror finish.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advise they can give me if i take this job on?Those steps, diamond plate, and slotted surfaces will eat your foam pads for lunch.

thanks
    You're welcome.

VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT vid Vegas, always wondered how the pros polish AL and SS. You're the MAN.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hand.
    While I can't tell you about the DoDo, Blackfire, Autoglym, Sonax, etc. lines (I don't even post for free givaways), I can tell you what I do use and what lines work for me.

Aluminum polishing is a very dirty side line. Must use eye, ear, and breathing precautions.
    It can prove to be most profitable if you chase the market. Those that are seeking this service wil only accept top notch results. Those that you approach who aren't familiar with pro polishing become repeat customers.
    VT
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info... I think I'm going tackle the tanks and if I do a good job I'll prob do more. I got a Mikita just need the wheels and paste. I'll post results when done.

Post Thanks / Like

The 9227c is an excellent tool for the job. I read a thread by Tucarora Dave and saw one of his 9227's in the background of the picture with a flannel wheel attached.

Remember to use safety equipment.

Subscribed!
    VT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    The 9227c is an excellent tool for the job. I read a thread by Tucarora Dave and saw one of his 9227's in the background of the picture with a flannel wheel attached.

Remember to use safety equipment.

Subscribed!
    Is the 9227 made by Makita?

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing