autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Center of pad caving in???

Am I using too much pressure or is this normal?? Im using a yellow B&S removing oxidation on my trailer. Thanks
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Center of pad caving in???

You overheated the pad. Either too much pressure/speed and/or you overloaded the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine do that but when there is too much product on the pad - but then again that has always just been my assumption..... is it during polishing or a permanent cave in?
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've had that happen to some of my LC Orange pads when I ran them too hard for too long. In my case it was a combination of too much products, not cleaning the pad often enough, and using one pad for most of a car. I'll never do that again! (I hope)
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

On a DA the product migrates to the center and will get hotter than the pad alone. It's probably a combination of too much heat transferring from the shaft through the backing plate and either too much product or adding product to the center of the pad. I like to keep enough pads to switch back and forth with every couple of panels so they dont work hot for very long without cooling down and add a circle of polish to the outside edge when adding polish to the pad to minimize the buildup in the center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    Mine do that but when there is too much product on the pad - but then again that has always just been my assumption..... is it during polishing or a permanent cave in?
    It's permanent.. I put too much pressure.. Checked myself on the scale. But i don know if this is normal, after three sections passes the pad gets warm in the center. I've been changing pads every three section passes to let them cool down.
    Wish list:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    On a DA the product migrates to the center and will get hotter than the pad alone. It's probably a combination of too much heat transferring from the shaft through the backing plate and either too much product or adding product to the center of the pad. I like to keep enough pads to switch back and forth with every couple of panels so they dont work hot for very long without cooling down and add a circle of polish to the outside edge when adding polish to the pad to minimize the buildup in the center.
    Thanks Chris!
    Wish list:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    It's permanent.. I put too much pressure.. Checked myself on the scale. But i don know if this is normal, after three sections passes the pad gets warm in the center. I've been changing pads every three section passes to let them cool down.
    Im shocked to hear that a DA pad caves in from heat - only because I have only seen it on white cyclo pads (least aggressive around which in my mind says less heat). Using the DA I never put much pressure on it so it can't be that either..... that is why my assumption of when my pads cave in is that there is way too much product on board. When they cave, I usually switch them out and wash the caved in one and they are fine. With a rotary I have never had this issue and they create MUCH more heat than a DA. Again this is just my opinion and I have not set time aside to test pads in a controlled environment?!?!?
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

opie_7afe

i was about to reply with what chris@optimum said. thats great information. to b&B remember when the center of the pad is saturated with product it conducts heat way faster then the outside edges, even though the outside edges are spinning faster then the center. why it don't happen with a rotary is due to centrifugal force driving the product to the outside of the pad, that is why if you apply too much product to the pad and even though the pad is on the paint it can still fling product...its weird how the DA migrates the product into the center of the pad.