autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Does DURABILITY truly influence your sealant purchase ??

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Durability means very little, I wax or seal often.

17 22.97%
  • Durability is one of my main purchasing points (post details below)

29 39.19%
  • Using the correct products together gives me all the durability I need between detailing sessions

28 37.84%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durability

Post Thanks / Like

Durability

This question has been bugging me for an eternity. We all know that sealants "typically" offer better durability (length of protection) over that of a carnuba. Yet they usually fail to offer the warmth, depth, and true wet-look of their carnuba counterparts.

How is that we use durability as a "main" selling point ?? I dont know many detailers that would carefully detail their pride and joy, only to allow it to sit unattended or just washed for 3 -- 6 -- 8 months prior to sealing or waxing again. Surely professionals DONT want a product to protect that long, or they would not be able to revisit and make the bigger $$ by doing a complete detail. I understand those that like gloss and reflectivity moving to sealants, but they quickly tout how long their fav sealant lasts. How do they truly know ????

So please let me know if I am off base. Using a wash with polymer technology, using a spray wax, or QD with polymers can also increase durability and enhance either product. So how many are truly detailing obsessed, yet only detail twice a year with "just" a sealant???

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not that important to me, I usually pust a coat on if I can evry time I wash, especially in winter.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using the Klasse twins topped by a coat of P21S paste wax
    on my silver car with good results and durability. I try to detail my car once a month weather permitting. I am going to try using the Wolfgang products topped with the P21S first chance I get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Durability is of great import to me. Not necessarily on my personal truck since I detail it so often. It is the wife's vehicle that needs the protection.

My wifes' vehicle gets weekly attention when I am home. Yet there are six months of every year that the vehicle is with out any attention at all. Consequently I am constantly searching for the longest most durable protectant on the market. I do this by testing products on my truck. Resulting in good durable protection for the wife's car while I am gone.
    cwcad

Do What You Say....Say What You Do!
    www.ldkbox.com a blog about life's details

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a slickness freak, so I look for sealants to have maximum longevity of slickness possible. Also, it's important to me that LSP's are more able to withstand the effects of winter, when it's too cold to detail often, and for panels near the engine to best resist heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like a sealant year round toped with a nice carnuaba. But during the winter months i feel the importance of a good sealer,the weather is less apt to coperate theirfore i dont have chance to apply a sealent/wax on a regular basis, so this is when i need the most protection. In the Summer month's i would use a sealent but then continue with a carnuaba(sp) every 2-3 weeks..

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the reasons why durability isn't important to me is the fact that I just LOVE to detail my truck. I truely enjoy the process. I find it to be quite relaxing.......seems to melt the "work stress" away. Here in West Texas, the weather is perfect for year round detailing. I've never gone more than 4 weeks without sealing or waxing. I wash & QD twice a week & apply a quality carnauba about every 3 weeks. About every 3 months, I tear everything down by claying,polishing,glazing (from time to time)sealing then waxing. I just love it!! All in all, I tend to use sealants for protection & carnauba for that deep,wet,rich liquid shimmering goodness that many of us love.
    Carnauba Geek!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Durability is WAY up there

I haven't a garage, and I have a mustang convertible with metalflake paint. My ability to OC detail just isn't there time wise, so the more durable a product is, the happier I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like top sealants. Some don't really require it, but this way I can accheive the best of both worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Durability will always be a factor.. & if we can get the added carnauba/slickness look that UPP/Wolfgang give then we are ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast