autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Does DURABILITY truly influence your sealant purchase ??

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Durability means very little, I wax or seal often.

17 22.97%
  • Durability is one of my main purchasing points (post details below)

29 39.19%
  • Using the correct products together gives me all the durability I need between detailing sessions

28 37.84%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durability

Post Thanks / Like
    Durability is important I guess, but since I clean my paint at least once a month and seal/wax it afterwards its not that important to me. Funny thing is that I use the one of the best sealants, Wolfgangs Paint sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    On my daily driver (which gets about 150+ miles daily) durability is my most important criteria, with looks being an important 2nd consideration. My product selection now-a-days is to use only product families that have a liquid sealant AND a spray sealant - such as WG and UPP (boy am I glad WG sealant spritz and UPPS were invented!)

Wife's and daughter's cars, durability is much less of a concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter the circumstances, duribility will always be important!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShineBoy
    No matter the circumstances, duribility will always be important!

I understand the importance of durability ... but do most of us really need a product that lasts for six months ?? Even on the spouses car, cars that are daily drivers, and those that sit in the elements 24/7 (please remember I am in Florida, we have no seasons, just 5 cold days and alot of hot days). Would you really go that long without rewaxing or resealing ??

Also I have never seen any product that does NOT fall off considerably the original look and benefits after about two months of protection. Thus the need for spray sealants, QD with polymers, and other newer technology to keep it going ?? So would you be more inclined to shop for a product that offers six months of protection or a product offering two-three months of protection but clearly looks better while doing it ???

Post Thanks / Like
    killrwheels brings up a terrific point in his previous post. I prefer a product that protects & maintains that "fresh" look for a 2 month period of time. With that being said......I rarely let a product "cuddle" my paint for more than 4 weeks at a time before I re apply a fresh layer. As a "carnauba junkie", I've found that most of the quality carnaubas in my detailing arsenal provide the best protection/optics for a 4-6 week period of time. Quality QD's such as Crystal Mist can be used to "replenish" or "extend" the performance of a carnauba. But within limits. For instance, you're not gonna apply 3 layers of Souveran (over 3 consecutive days) to your daily driver that sits ungaraged year round & expect to maintain it's performance for an entire year by just washing & QDing with Crystal Mist. As for sealants.......Most sealants I've used on many different vehicles perform at their peak for a 2 month period of time.I've only used 2 that offer expectional performance beyond 2 months on their own. One 2 part acryilc "system" is available at the Geek & the other is "GEEKless". Weather can directly impact a products durabilty. For instance.......The rain in Seatle, the hard winters in the Northern & North Eastern parts of our great country, the blazing sun here in the South West & South, even industrial fallout in the "blue collar" cities (just to name a few) can reek havok on a products performance & effectiveness. There's so much to say on this subject with so little time!
    Carnauba Geek!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can some list a prodcut that can do both or atleast one without QD all the time ? Its hard to find.. & the durability will always be a Sellng point for anyone. For Example is souveran ( hypetheticaly speaking ) gave 3 weeks of protection No one would buy it, even if it made your car look Soaking wet. if 4* upp gave 3 weeks of protection & still gave the soaking wet look no one would buy. What im trying to say is that there are people out there ( me ) that eventhough we dont need the protection the durability has to be there. It is imperative for a product to have it

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2 months -- NOT LONG ENOUGH !

Guys;

My stang will sit outside in a midwest winter WAY longer than two months in sub 30 degree weather. I can go from November to March (you do the math) where I won't get a chance to detail. I need longevity.

Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously, a detailer's weather plays a big part in the importance of durability. 80%-90% of Texas weather is detailer-friendly so I pretty much wash my car every week. After washing, I always apply some type of product whether it's another layer of LSP or a booster-spray of some sort. Because of this regiment, I place a much higher value on a product's ease-of-use.

Matt
    Some great points in this thread...durability should always be a factor (to help in emergency situations...bird bombs, bugs, etc). That being said, I re-wax my car every 2 weeks or so, so it's not a big deal for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12