autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shampoo question - CG Citrus wash and gloss

Chemical Guys Citrus wash and gloss is a shampoo I see mentioned often on the forum, the item description states that it can be used for both maintenance washes (1 capful to 5 gallons) and to strip lsp (1oz to 1 gallon):

1.Wouldn't that mean that at higher dilutions (1 capful to 5 gallons) it will strip lsp, only less effectively?

2. Does this apply to other car shampoos? - Will using more product per gallon water will strip lsp?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shampoo question - CG Citrus wash and gloss

1) No. That's not quite how it works. At the higher dilutions it's simply not strong enough to strip most LSPs.

2) Generally speaking yes, if it's considered a strong soap to start with.

Other factors come into play like how long you let the soap dwell on your car and how agressive you are with you wash media.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    1) No. That's not quite how it works. At the higher dilutions it's simply not strong enough to strip most LSPs.

Other factors come into play like how long you let the soap dwell on your car and how agressive you are with you wash media.

Maybe I should have phrased 1. differently, what I meant was that won't the cwg degrade lsps to some extent even at the 'safe' dilution?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post

1) I'm sorry but your logic does not add up. If it can strip wax ata higher dilution then YES it will have the same effect only much less so at lower dilution ratios. Does it strip wax immediately? No of course not but over time it will have that effect.

2) On this I will agree. That most any soap that can be used to strip wax will have the same type of effect at lower dilutions but it will take more time.

A note. The longer you leave these stripping soaps on the surface the more they work. So if you wash a panel and rinse it immediately it will have very little to no effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It's my favorite soap, try it, you're over thinking this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    It's my favorite soap, try it, you're over thinking this
    I'm on my second gallon of the stuff.... I like it as well...

Let's look at it like this. If you mix the soap strong enough it will begin to strip your wax.... If this is the case will it not also have the same effect over a prolonged period of time at a lower dilution? It is after all the same soap only at a lower strength.

We don't always see this because we wax so often the the lower dilution has not had enough time to LSP. But I if you let the lower dilution sit on the paint for extended periods of time more often you will begin to see the effects. I have tried this little test myself.

Maybe I am overthinking it a little. But I like to know moe about the products I am using on my vehicles as well as customers. Because knowledge is power....

Post Thanks / Like

No offense but everyone is just speculating and I understand both theories either way bottom line I'm sure it won't make a difference, if you're that worried use their glossworkz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    No offense but everyone is just speculating and I understand both theories either way bottom line I'm sure it won't make a difference, if you're that worried use their glossworkz
    I agree.

The more often you wax the less it matters. And if you worry about it then use something else.

Post Thanks / Like

What I meant is if you use it per instructions, it will not immediately strip your LSP. Sure multiple washes will eventually diminish the LSP. Even a "water" only wash 10x over will degrade your LSP.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    1) I'm sorry but your logic does not add up. If it can strip wax ata higher dilution then YES it will have the same effect only much less so at lower dilution ratios. Does it strip wax immediately? No of course not but over time it will have that effect.

2) On this I will agree. That most any soap that can be used to strip wax will have the same type of effect at lower dilutions but it will take more time.

A note. The longer you leave these stripping soaps on the surface the more they work. So if you wash a panel and rinse it immediately it will have very little to no effect.
    Last edited by SonOfOC; 05-07-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast