autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about power tools and number of amps

I'm looking for a shop-vac to handle my vacuuming. I noticed that most regular, household vacuum cleaners are rated at 11 amps. Does this mean that a regular vacuum cleaner has a stronger motor (and more suction) than a 5hp shop vac, which is rated at 9-10 amps, or even a smaller shop vac rated at 7 amps? I'm looking to get the smallest, most portable vacuum I can, while still having as much suction as possible.
    Old sig- My GG can beat up your PC
    New sig- Well, it's still got a lifetime warranty

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about power tools and number of amps

Using amps as a measure would not be the way to go. Compare shop-vac to shop-vac, and I would say as "hp" increases, so will suction.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about power tools and number of amps

Vacuum Cleaner Ratings/Specifications

The main things I look for in selecting a vacuum cleaner are:

-Motor(s) input power (where the biggest consumption of the rated amperage occurs.)...Always compare: Watts:Watts...Or...Amps:Amps
    (Conversion formulas: amps x 120v=watts...watts/120v=amps)

-Water Lift (called "sealed suction")... How many inches a totally sealed motor will vertically lift a 1" column of water. Good indicator of a vacuum cleaner's ability to lift/pick-up dirt/debris.
    (90", or more, is considered the 'best'...But the caveat is: Vacuum cleaner prices go up exponentially as the lift-rating increases, though

-Air Flow (rated in CFM)...Probably the most important rating/specification for a vacuum's cleaning ability. The more above 100 CFM, the better.

As to:
    -Horsepower (Often called “Peak Horsepower”):
    This rating is obtained by removing the fan(s) from the vacuum motor and subjecting it to the maximum load possible before the motor burns out. Then, a complex formula is applied to come up with a Peak Horsepower rating. This specification is meaningless in terms of evaluating the cleaning ability of a vacuum cleaner. This is a rating that's used primarily for marketing purposes.
    As such: Here's a quote from ShopVac (explanation of vacuum cleaner terminology):
    "Horsepower Rating...Peak horsepower is the maximum output horsepower of a motor determined from a laboratory dynamometer test. Since peak horsepower is outside the normal operating range of a vacuum cleaner, it may not be indicative of actual air power differences when comparing two cleaners".

-Air Watts...Not to be confused with Air Flow!!
    This is considered an attempt to rate a vacuum cleaner's: output power vs. input power...Just another way to cause confusion, it seems. (But even ShopVac still lists it?!?!)
    [Formula used to obtain Air Watts: (CFM x Lift)/8.5=Air Watts=1 Watt...That figures!]

-Then there's always the filters, tank-size, hoses, and attachments that may reduce the efficiency of a vacuum cleaner
    somewhat.

-Boils down to and depends on one's budget/needs in the: Vacuum Cleaner purchasing decision process...IMO.

BTW:
    The most NEC-allowable amperage for an appliance, such as a vacuum cleaner, on a regular household (110-120/130v) circuit is 12 amps.

-Good Luck in finding a unit for your detailing purposes!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti