autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: gloves

Post Thanks / Like

gloves

why do you use them and what kind do you use (personally)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: gloves

Many of the chemicals we use, while safe for use on vehicles, can become irritants to our skin. I like the black nitrite glove sold on Autogeek. They're reasonably priced, fit and wear well. The more I use them the easier to realize why I should always wear them...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

so far i've detailed 4 vehicles this spring w/o gloves... My knuckles are begging me to use gloves on the rest of the vehicles i detail... my knuckles on my left hand are so dried out and cracked, i can't even put my lifting gloves on when i go to the gym.... I have a feeling the OPC and water in my bucket i soak my foam DA pads in, is the reason for my dry skin...

Plan on detailing my pickup this weekend and guess what will be on my hands?! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

No way I would ever consider not using gloves. With the plethora of chemicals used in all the products, why would anyone even consider not using gloves?
    I use nitrile gloves from Uline. I buy them by the case.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use them for everything. Anytime I am washing or using chemicals, or wrenching on the car.

I use a long sleeved, 8mil thick glove not currently sold by AutoGeek, but I have suggested they look into carrying them. They are amazingly good, I have not had a single one break on me even when tearing down the engine or doing brakes.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I had been in the habit of not using gloves while detailing. I just went to see the doctor last week because I developed a severe case of eczema on my hands. It is clearing up now after the correct treatment and what a relief. I never want to deal with that again so I'll definitely be using gloves from here on out. I use the light blue nitrile gloves from harbor freight tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duck_commander View Post
    so far i've detailed 4 vehicles this spring w/o gloves... My knuckles are begging me to use gloves on the rest of the vehicles i detail... my knuckles on my left hand are so dried out and cracked, i can't even put my lifting gloves on when i go to the gym.... I have a feeling the OPC and water in my bucket i soak my foam DA pads in, is the reason for my dry skin...

Plan on detailing my pickup this weekend and guess what will be on my hands?! LOL
    I really suggest that you get some cortisone cream on those hands before you end up like I did. The itching and cracking was worse than any athlete's foot or poison ivy I ever experienced. I couldn't use my hands for anything. I am sometimes quite foolish and hard headed in such matters but lesson learned for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Diamond Grip gloves for everything. A great compliment to gloves is a good hand cream, I use Working Hands by O'Keefe's.

Post Thanks / Like

I def use gloves. Yes the chemical factor is huge, but my health is way more important. How many times when cleaning have you come across dirty tissues or band aids? Think of all the stuff (blood, snot, stuff that can scrape/poke you, dog poo/all that fun stuff from the bottom of peoples shoes) that you don't see. Yes I am a germaphobe and proud of it. I don't wanna catch hep or a cold simply because I didn't wear gloves lol. Plus the chemicals tear up my hands, just like duck_commander said. Soaking you hands in APC/OPC takes its toll after 1 detail.

I personally use the same as Bobby. The black ones hold up the best. Sometimes I'll use the "thickster" gloves when I'm working on engines or underseats where I'll scratch my fingers. They hold up better when your doing stuff that you might hit a corner. The black ones tear if you catch them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I really suggest that you get some cortisone cream on those hands before you end up like I did. The itching and cracking was worse than any athlete's foot or poison ivy I ever experienced. I couldn't use my hands for anything. I am sometimes quite foolish and hard headed in such matters but lesson learned for sure.

Thanks Dave... I agree my knuckles are almost as itchy as athlete's feet... I have some corisone cream the Dr prescribed for me when i had poison ivy in the fall... I think i will try that for a week and if it doesn't clear up i'll be visiting the Dr.