autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Help With 3 Problem Areas

I have a couple of problem spots on my 2011 diesel Jetta, and had a few questions on the best way of safely cleaning them.

1. Exterior Rubber Window Trim
    -The black rubber trim around my door windows is starting to turn a brownish color. Noting really comes in contact with the trim, and I wash it once a week.

1a. Do I need to clean this trim? (I have Optimum Opti-Clean and Power Clean, which would be best to use?)

1b. To protect the trim after cleaning, would it be best to use Aerospace303 protectant, or Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (Optimum says it can be used on all rubber/vinyl surfaces)

2. Door Sills
    -During assembly, they left behind gobs of grease around the hinge areas, and lower door sill areas, that is making a mess everywhere.

I was thinking of using either Opti-Clean or Power Clean for these areas. I worry about using Power Clean because it may be hard to rinse off the residue, but Opti-clean may be powerful enough. What would be the best to use, or should I be using a different product?

3. Rocker Panels
    -The rocker Panels under the doors are covered with dirt, grease, road tar ect. The surface is painted over textured material. What would be best to safely clean this area?

Mike Phillips

Re: Need Help With 3 Problem Areas

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash Willy View Post

I have a couple of problem spots on my 2011 diesel Jetta, and had a few questions on the best way of safely cleaning them.

1. Exterior Rubber Window Trim
    -The black rubber trim around my door windows is starting to turn a brownish color. Noting really comes in contact with the trim, and I wash it once a week.

1a. Do I need to clean this trim? (I have Optimum Opti-Clean and Power Clean, which would be best to use?)
    Probably Power Clean for the initial good cleaning and then washing or Opti-Clean after you dress it.

1b. To protect the trim after cleaning, would it be best to use Aerospace303 protectant, or Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel (Optimum says it can be used on all rubber/vinyl surfaces)
    Personal preference but since you're using Optimum products for the cleaning and there's such a thing as chemical synergistic compatibility, go with the Opti-Bond.

2. Door Sills
    -During assembly, they left behind gobs of grease around the hinge areas, and lower door sill areas, that is making a mess everywhere.

I was thinking of using either Opti-Clean or Power Clean for these areas. I worry about using Power Clean because it may be hard to rinse off the residue, but Opti-clean may be powerful enough. What would be the best to use, or should I be using a different product?
    Test the less aggressive product but you're likely going to need the strength of Power Clean for grease. Use paper towels to remove any large amounts and then dispose of them, rags or towels that won't ever be used on paint, plastic or glass after the disposables...

3. Rocker Panels
    -The rocker Panels under the doors are covered with dirt, grease, road tar ect. The surface is painted over textured material. What would be best to safely clean this area?
    Opti-Clean should get this and use a towel or microfiber towel for some gentle scrubbing ability.

Mike Phillips

Did the above help?

Also, check this thread out...

Roll Call - What's your real first name?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, that did help! Ill check out that thread.