autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Heavy swirls and ONR question.

Hi all,

Couple of nights ago I used the Meg DA MF Correction kit with 6" pads on my 12 year old white pearl acura. This kit did take care of 60% of the swirls. I am the only owner of the car and this was the first time I used a DA on this car. I followed the direction from videos I found on you tube from autogeek and cleaned the pads frequently.

I also did this on my newer black Acura and I still have some defects left also but nothing too severe.

Any thoughts on trying other products and different pads? From reviews I am really liking blackfire, or should I stick to d300 compound.

Also how many times can paint correction be done with a cutting pad? Cause aren't we removing clear coat overtime as we use a cutting pad?

ONR, can I use this and then apply wax or sealant to a car?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heavy swirls and ONR question.

If the Meg's MF system isn't getting everything out you could try using Megs M105/M205 combo with a foam pad. I've never had a problem getting anything out using those 2 products. There are tons of threads around here that discuss their use.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a wax after ONR. However, anytime I personally apply waxes/sealants to my car I do a traditional wash (I'm still not 100% sold on rinseless washes yet though haha)
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is either because of your pad size or the paint too neglected. The mf system is suppose to cut more than foam pads and the compound just as aggressive as 105.

I used the Orange 5.5 pads with m105 and got almost everything out except the deeper scratches on my old 99 TL that had never seen a proper machine detail.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bl3ujay07 View Post
    I think it is either because of your pad size or the paint too neglected. The mf system is suppose to cut more than foam pads and the compound just as aggressive as 105.

I used the Orange 5.5 pads with m105 and got almost everything out except the deeper scratches on my old 99 TL that had never seen a proper machine detail.

Yeppers...I use the same setup, Orange 5.5 and 105
    Waxin' Willys Detailing
    Like us on Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

My TL is a 2001, the deep scratches is understanble, but these are swirls. I am going to try one more time, but glad that you mentioned pad size. Megs says the 5" cuts better, is this true?

Post Thanks / Like

be sure to start off with a non-aggressive combo. I have a black TL and find that medium polishes work well. Try SwirlX by meguiars.

Post Thanks / Like

Acura/Honda black is usually pretty soft, so I find it hard to believe that the MF pad and compound combo are not getting g all the swirls out. Could it be that they are leaving behind a haze that still needs to be cleaned up?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree except M105 is more agressive by a ways IME.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Acura/Honda black is usually pretty soft, so I find it hard to believe that the MF pad and compound combo are not getting g all the swirls out. Could it be that they are leaving behind a haze that still needs to be cleaned up?
    I did this on my 2010 Black Acura first. Once two weeks ago and again yesterday. This car looks great majority of swirls are out. But my 2001 White Pearl Acura still looks severely swirled. I called Megs and they said return the 6" pads and backing plate and get the 5". So ill see if that helps.

Also as I stated earlier, using the Megs system, how many times can a person use a cutting pad on a car before its unsafe and affects the clear coat. I know its not a exact science, but is 5 times in a lifetime too much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    +1

Maybe those marks left arent swirls ,but marring because very soft paints and mf create marring .Maybe next time try p 203 s and a foam pad..