autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me place an order, I'm stuck.

Sorry this is the second time for this. I want to place an order TODAY. But when I went to order today like always, I'm like a deer in the headlights. I just freeze up. I'm a total newbie to this. I bought a GG 6 at Christmas as well the Meguiar's DA MF kit. The GG 6 came with a 6" backing plate and the Meguiar's comes with a 5" backing plate.

Here is what I want to do. For my 96 SVT Cobra Black which is a garaged pleasure only car I want a great deep shine. So I was going to use the Meguiar's kit for cutting and use WGDGPS for the LSP. I'm told I need a polish or glaze before the LSP.

I also have several other family cars I want to detail. So I need some other items. I may also just use the Meguiar's kit on the other cars. They vary from Silver to Blue, Red, and a dark green Volvo. All of them need correction. When I add everything up I come up with about $250. I was hoping to cut that back some, so maybe you could offer some suggestions, and also make sure I 'm not missing anything. Here is what I think I need:

LC 5.5" Flat pads were recommended to me.

(3) Orange cutting
    (3) White polish
    (3) Black-grey Wax - Sealant

(2) Grit Guards

Cleaning brush for foam pads

WGDGPS LSP

WG Glaze for polish, open to recommendations here

Collonite 845 because it's cheap and I've read so much good about it.

6" mf bonnets for wax removal. I have a bad back so I may remove via machine. I guess I need to buy a 6" foam pad for under this.

Dr Colorchip because I have chips to repair on Cobra.

Do I need polish? If I use the Meguiar's DA MF KIT there is no polish step. I have some Meg's OTC pre wax polish but didn't have good results with it, it left a haze no matter what I did.

Also need a suggestion for a QD that. Will work nice with the WGDGPS.

Weather's getting nice and it is cruising season for our Mustang club so I'd like to get my order in ASAP. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Spiney- Dave
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Additional question. Should I put a wax on top of the WGDGPS or will that ruin the gloss. If I should, what wax would you recommend.

Also can I apply any of these steps with the Meg's MF pads, or best to use foam?

Thanks again, Spiney
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me place an order, I'm stuck.

I'd drop the orange pads - I don't see any use for them, given that you have the DA MF kit. You might be able to skip the white pads too - the black pads with a light polish should clean up any hazing that the polishing MF + finishing wax might leave, though you might not want to do a three-step (as well as it being a waste of the finishing wax). (Off-tangent, I'd have gone with just the MF cutting pads, skipped the MF finishing pads and replaced them with white pads in the your initial order, but that's water under the bridge.)

Also, the DA MF kit has the finishing wax right? It's supposed to have some mild abrasives, and serves as the polishing step for the system. If you really want to get a polish, I'd skip the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze (19.99 for 8 oz = expensive!) and go for either M205 (8 oz for 8.99) or Swirl-X (15.2 oz for 8.99).

For QD... I like OID for a drying aid, and use UWW+ for other QD duties. Lots of options in this space, though.

You wouldn't want to apply LSPs via the MF pads, I would think - so foam for that. For the polishing step, it depends on how well the MF polishing disc finishes out on the paint you're using it on - I've read some posts that it doesn't finish down too well with soft paints, in which case you'd want to do your polishing step using foam too.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get more MF cutting disks and drop the orange and white foam pads. I'd go with Menzerna PO85RD or whatever it's called now to go with the gray finishing foam pads. With a bad back I'd forget about WDGPS and 845 both and grab a bottle of UPGP. Why go through the application and removal process when you can wipe on and walk away? Not to mention how valuable a clear WOWA sealant is on a black car when staining trim is concerned. Clear=no staining and no fuss of being so careful around trim. Huge time saver and gloss as good as any sealant.

I'm going to BAPS paint supply in Lemoyne PA on May 1st where Meguiar's will be there demonstrating how to use the Microfiber Correction System. Perhaps you would like to join me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I'd get more MF cutting disks and drop the orange and white foam pads. I'd go with Menzerna PO85RD or whatever it's called now to go with the gray finishing foam pads. With a bad back I'd forget about WDGPS and 845 both and grab a bottle of UPGP. Why go through the application and removal process when you can wipe on and walk away? Not to mention how valuable a clear WOWA sealant is on a black car when staining trim is concerned. Clear=no staining and no fuss of being so careful around trim. Huge time saver and gloss as good as any sealant.

I'm going to BAPS paint supply in Lemoyne PA on May 1st where Meguiar's will be there demonstrating how to use the Microfiber Correction System. Perhaps you would like to join me?
    If you end up going with the UPGP, like Dave suggested, I'd take the microfiber bonnets out of the cart too, it seems like holding your machine that much longer in different positions would be harder on your back then just wiping off with a towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point by Dave - a WOWA sealant, such as UPGP, Blackfire CS, or Opti-Seal (they have a new version out!) would be a great idea in your situation.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still very new so I need some more splaining. With a WOWO do you apply with a MF towel or a hand held foam pad?

If I want to use WGDGPS for the deep shine and longevity what do I apply that with?

Yes Dave I think I'll hold off till I see the demo on May 1st.

What pads do you use to. Apply LSP's and can I use a MF pad to do that.

As far as trim I have to check but I don't think my mustang has any. Just pure black. Thanks again, Dave