autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you wax too much?

now maybe you can help me on this...

i did just order some wolfgang sealant for my 03 montana and am wanting to give it a try but i only went of people's recomodations to use it and not really into the science of WHY i should use it.

is sealant just a better engineered wax.. or??

Post Thanks / Like

No sealant is pretty much the same as a sealer for wood. It bonds to paint to block out contaminants like dirt, dust, tar or even water. It doesn't atract them like a wax does. I love using a sealant first to give that added protection. Then add wax for more protection and of course it's shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -z yaaaa- View Post
    now maybe you can help me on this...

i did just order some wolfgang sealant for my 03 montana and am wanting to give it a try but i only went of people's recomodations to use it and not really into the science of WHY i should use it.

is sealant just a better engineered wax.. or??
    Yes! Sealants are essentially synthetic or man made wax. Chemists have made some amazing advancements over the last ten years or so and most sealants rival nearly all of today's waxes.

Paint Sealants like Klasse, Wolfang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Sealants have twice the durability of most waxes and are so easy to use it doesn't make sense not to use them.

Some sealants are thick and creamy while others are clear. I've been experimenting with some of the clear sealants and have been quite pleased.

They're applied with a microfiber pad or soft foam pad. Because they're clear, they do not require hazing and buffing and leave no residue whatsoever.

Three I've found amazing are;

• Ultima Paint Guard Plus
    • Wolf's Chemicals WP-0NT - Nano Paint Sealant - "Body Wrap"
    • Optimum Opti-Seal

I've applied 2 coats of these and the finish looks like it's literally wet...

Besides Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, which is a very nice product, these also are high quality products which are exceptional!

Sealants

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

awesome. well, i decided to give that wolfgang sealant a shot a few days prior so im glad i went with it. cant wait to see how it works!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walletless View Post
    If the wax does not has any cleaning abilities (most AIO do, most sealants do not), it is ok to apply 2 layers. I had read a scientific study (I believe it was on detailing.co.uk? can't find the link now) that showed that anything over 2 layers does not give a significant extra protection to warrant it.. 2 layers should be adequate.

But be 100% sure that the wax does not have cleaning properties.
    I too saw that study and it was 2 layers that actually stuck to the paint.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

awesome. well, i decided to give that wolfgang sealant a shot a few days prior so im glad i went with it. cant wait to see how it works!
    You won't regret trying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or any other Wolfgang product.

The key to a sparking defect free finish is in the surface preparation. Even if it's just using a quality paint cleaner, the finish must be clean, free of oxidation, and other airborne contaminates.

Apply a coat, let haze, then buff to a gorgeous shine. If you'd like to apply a second coat, let this layer cure for 12 hours preferably in a garage where moisture or dew won't come in contact with it.

Apply Coat 2 in the same manor, let haze then buff......

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

hello, with this being my first formal question here on the forums i would like to say thanks in advance and sorry as well if this is something you guys answer often.

just wondering if its possible to wax a car TOO much? (will it ruin the clear coat, i mean)

reason i ask is because some times when i tell people my car has lots of wax coats they say its too much.

personally..i dont see the problem.. the paint looks phenominal and beads water perfectly. but then again i am no professional so thats why i ask.

thanks!
    You certainly cannot wax too much bud! Assuming of course the wax you use has no abrasives in it. And assuming you trust the company that made it enough that you don't think they would put any chemicals in it that hurt the paint.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

well allrighty then...

main reason it has so many coats of wax is because i honestly never really washed it. it hardly ever got dirty due to seldom driving so i basically just cali dusted it and hit it with mother's show time for the most part. then for a car show i actually waxed it. but since i was hitting a show a week on average it got waxed quite a bit. (if any of you are curious about what im talking about here, its my white 98 z24. i posted pics of it in the introduction forum)

...and YES! ding ding ding.. wax is like a friggin magnet for dust. i HATE that. the dust comes off easy enough with a swipe of the duster but still, i wish there was something i could use that did not attract the dust.
    So no one else picked this up? You're really not supposed to wax a car if it's not been properly cleaned - even if it's just a bit of driving - the applicator will pick up leftover grit from the paint and leave marring. You mentioned that your paint has a lot of swirls - the frequent use of the Cali duster and Showtime, instead of proper washing, is the most likely cause of this. Also, as mentioned, it's worthwhile removing any old wax on the car with a pre-wax cleaner and applying a new layer on clean paint - the LSP will bond with the paint better and last longer. Using clay now and then would help, too.
    Francis

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Having said that, whatever wax you are using, hopefully you are using a very thin coat. A former co worker of mine waxed his old Taurus with Meguiars cleaner wax every week. No matter how many times I tried to teach him proper technique, he still resorted to using an old dirty tshirt. His car was obviously full of swirls, but it was shiny and I suppose the paint was well protected, and he felt good doing it.
    His shirt probably does a good job beading ketchup and Carl's JR burger mess off quite well, doubles as a home made scoch guard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    So no one else picked this up? You're really not supposed to wax a car if it's not been properly cleaned - even if it's just a bit of driving - the applicator will pick up leftover grit from the paint and leave marring. You mentioned that your paint has a lot of swirls - the frequent use of the Cali duster and Showtime, instead of proper washing, is the most likely cause of this. Also, as mentioned, it's worthwhile removing any old wax on the car with a pre-wax cleaner and applying a new layer on clean paint - the LSP will bond with the paint better and last longer. Using clay now and then would help, too.

if the paint is clean whats the difference? i properly cleaned it BEFORE all the waxing took place so i started with a clean surface then built up the protection from there. i also did clay bar it often as well. probably every other show time application i did, actually.

i honestly dont see a lot of point in washing a car if the paint is as protected as it's was. and really it did get washed but not once a week like a daily driver. more like once every few months. it sat in the garage with a car cover over it for most of the time. and was driven only on nice days. i just dont see the point in washing a car because its got a light dust layer on it, honestly.

as for the cobbwebb swirls. i attribute a lot of that to using walmart or dollar general micro fiber towels during the buffing process. well that and i bought the car with 93,000 daily driven miles on it.

ive used the same process on my daily driver montana minivan but it gets washed at least once a week. has the same swirls. i really need to get on that paint LOL ive got a boat load of products coming including a 7474xp so im gonna get to work here soon!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.