autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can you wax too much?

Solvent based waxes and sealants break down whatever coat of wax is already on the car like Collinite 845..... at least that's my impression of it.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said it's just a waste of product to really apply too often.

But to each his own! If it makes you happy and you like doing it, wax away!

I know Mike aka BlackCar waxes his car at least 2-3 times a week....Sometimes more...we counted one time and I think at one time over the period of 2 weeks he had about 8 or 9 layers of different products....I'd say he's an LSP junkie!

Post Thanks / Like

well their main concern when giving me crap about it is that i am buffing the clear coat off i guess LOL is this possible or is that just a myth?

and i use mothers cali gold pure carnauba paste wax.

ive waxed the crap out of the car and it has obvious swirls so i know i need to cut all that crap off and do some correction then basically just start over but i just wanted to make sure doing multipal coats of wax was ok for the clear coat.

edit.. ive always waxed by hand, too. no machining as of yet anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

It's perfectly fine to layer waxes. It's not going to hurt the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

You can layer waxes as many times are you want, i always throw a coat of MS on my car after I wash it 4-5 times to sort of refresh it. Using a spray wax also keeps up the longevity(i prefer aquawax but UQW is great too).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Wax like any temporary product begins to degrade or evaporate right after buffing. Adding an additional coat will leave some coating with the majority of it ending up on the cloth after buffing. Some waxes will also break down and dissolve the coat it's applied to.
    Not nessicarely. Wax can be stacked on top of it self. However the wax on top that isn't atached to the paint comes off very fast. So yes it is a waste of product. The usual rule of thumb is two coats so you make sure that you applied the wax to all of the paint on the car. And that is all you need.
    Also wax attracts dirt. A lot of people don't realize that. Waxed paint gets dirty faster then unwaxed paint. Wax simply is a barrier that sits on the surface to protect what's underneath it. So it is important to remove old waxes about every 6 months. If not you are applying new wax on top of old dirty wax. Duribility won't last long at all.

walletless

If the wax does not has any cleaning abilities (most AIO do, most sealants do not), it is ok to apply 2 layers. I had read a scientific study (I believe it was on detailing.co.uk? can't find the link now) that showed that anything over 2 layers does not give a significant extra protection to warrant it.. 2 layers should be adequate.

But be 100% sure that the wax does not have cleaning properties.

Post Thanks / Like

well allrighty then...

main reason it has so many coats of wax is because i honestly never really washed it. it hardly ever got dirty due to seldom driving so i basically just cali dusted it and hit it with mother's show time for the most part. then for a car show i actually waxed it. but since i was hitting a show a week on average it got waxed quite a bit. (if any of you are curious about what im talking about here, its my white 98 z24. i posted pics of it in the introduction forum)

...and YES! ding ding ding.. wax is like a friggin magnet for dust. i HATE that. the dust comes off easy enough with a swipe of the duster but still, i wish there was something i could use that did not attract the dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep that's why the nano coatings are become extremely popular because the do the exact opposite and that's reject dirt. But personally I prefer a waxed surface over a nano coat any day.

Post Thanks / Like

I apply 2 layers; the first is always a sealant. Sometimes I'll apply 2 coats of sealant a minimum of 12 hours apart. Many times I apply a sealant then the next day a coat of wax.

Sealant + Sealant
    Sealant + Wax

Routine maintenance after a wash should include a quality spray wax like Optimum Car Wax spray. This really adds to the over all gloss and protective coating while adding several months of durability.

There is no written rule on how many times one may wax a cars finish. Wax daily, weekly, or monthly, it's totally up to you....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.